Renewing your residence permit
Sciences Po’s residence permit office can advise and guide you through your first request or the renewal of your residence permit.
How and when do I renew my student residence permit?
Your residence permit request will need to be submitted through Sciences Po ideally one to month’s before the expiry date indicated on your residence permit.
For students studying on the Paris campus
- be required to submit the renewal of your residence permit through Sciences Po who will forward it to the Préfecture;
- be contacted by e-mail inviting you to collect your your receipt (récépissé) (PDF, 114 Ko) at the Reception Center for Students and International Researchers (CRECI) (4 to 6 weeks processing time);
- be informed by text message of an appointment asking you to come and collect your definitive residence permit at the Préfecture in Cité (3 to 4 weeks processing time).
Students studying on a regional campus
Contact us to find out whether you can submit an application through your campus or contact the main information desk on your campus.
- Your French residence permit allows you to travel outside of the Schengen area for a duration on 90 days.
- A receipt « recepisse » for a first application does not allow you to travel outside of France.
- If your residence permit has expired and you are abroad, you will need to apply for a new student visa to re-enter France.
- To travel outside of the Schengen area, please contact the Consulate of the country of destination.
Which documents are required ?
You will need to come present all originals and copies of the following documents : List of supporting documents (PDF in French, 362 Ko)
Forms to be completed in black pen:
- ETUD - Études poursuivies en France (PDF in French, 15 Ko)
- ETR - Formulaire de renseignement pour une demande de carte de séjour (PDF in French, 161 Ko)
- Attestation d'hébergement (PDF in French, 30 Ko) (statement by the person housing you as proof of address)
- Certificat de prise en charge (PDF in French, 31 Ko) (statement of financial responsibility from the person covering your costs)
The checking of your passport, residence permit and completed application with Sciences Po’s residence permit office takes around 30 minutes.
For students registered on the Paris campus, Sciences Po will send your file to the Prefecture (only photocopies of your documents) and send you proof of your application submission through Sciences Po by email.
- Renew your residence permit before the expiry date to avoid additional costs;
- Check the validity of your passport, which must go beyond three months after the end of your studies in France;
- Complete the ETUD and ETR forms in black ink;
- Remain in France during the processing of residence permit renewal application;
- If you submit your request to Sciences Po, do not make an appointment on the Prefecture website.
Working in France
A student residence permit allows you to work a maximum of 964 hours per year in France (approximately 20 hours / week). It is sometimes possible to request an exemption from the Regional Directorate for Businesses, Competition, Consumer Affairs, Labour and Employment (DIRECCTE). An auto entrepreneur status is not compatible with a student visa.
After your graduation
With your degree certificate or proof of achievement and according to your situation, you will be able to apply one of the following residence permits as listed below :
- Temporary residence permt (APS)
- Job seeking / business creation
- Passport talent
Once in employment, you will be able to modify your status.
If you lose your passport or residence permit
If your passport or residence permit is lost or stolen, you should report to the nearest police station as soon as possible to make a declaration. Next you must apply for a new passport at your embassy. We will then be able to help you apply for a new residence permit through the standard renewal procedure.
The re-entry visa is issued on an exceptional basis, mainly in the following circumstances:
- a student has lost their residence permit abroad
- a student has started the renewal procedure before their departure but has left France without having collected his or her new residence permit