Home>Get started>International Students>Administrative documents needed

International students: Administrative documents needed

You will need to provide a number of supporting documents for all of your administrative procedures (for Sciences Po, accommodation, social security, residency permit, etc.).

All official documents in foreign languages must be translated into French by a certified translator.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of documents that you will definitely need. Make sure to make several photocopies of all important papers.

Identity documents

  • A valid passport with a long-stay student visa (unless you have a dispensation), original and photocopy.
  • For citizens of the European Economic Area an ID card is sufficient.
  • Your original birth certificate and a certified (official) translation. This document is proof of your civil status and will be requested to join the French health insurance system
  • The original documents you used to obtain a visa from the French consulate or embassy in your home country. You may be asked to present these at customs and they will be necessary when you apply for a residence permit (titre de séjour).
  • A dozen or so ID photos (3.5 x 4.5cm), which you will need for many different cards (student card, public transport discounts, museums and more). But you can always get these in France.


  • Students from the European Economic Area: proof of health insurance (public or private) that can be used as proof of social security cover in France and/or your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). You can request this from the health insurance office in your country.
  • Students from a country outside the European Economic Area: proof of health insurance that covers you the first months in France. Upon your arrival in France, you will have to join the French National Health Insurance System.
  • Vaccination booklet (document containing particular information on your health).
  • Photocopy of prescriptions for any medication and glasses if you use them.


  • Originals of your qualifications (high school and university, if applicable) and a certificate attesting that your school-leaving qualification allows you to attend a university in your home country.
  • Detailed transcript of all of your marks/grades from your last two years of school or university (these are essential for certain enrolments: preparatory classes, some university courses, etc.).
  • Exchange students: certificate of enrolment/registration from your university.
  • Ph.D. candidates: full academic transcript including all university courses taken and marks/grades awarded (and for certain disciplines, a detailed research proposal).
  • Students on French government scholarships: a letter of presentation from the cultural service of the French embassy.


  • If you intend to drive in France, don't forget your valid driver's licence.
  • We also advise you to keep a scanned version of all these documents.

Contact us

Reception on site, without appointment, at 13 rue de l'Université, 1st floor:

  • Monday & Wednesday from 9:30am to 12pm and from 1:30pm to 4pm
  • Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9:30am to 12pm

Digital reception on Zoom, without appointment at the following times:

  • Tuesday and Thursday from 1:30pm to 4pm

Meet us online

Fill in the contact form

Find out more