Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships at the Summer School
Scholarships are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorized to nominate candidates. These scholarships are reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars studying at another of the Foundation's partner universities (undergraduate or graduate level).
The scholarship is awarded for the duration of the Summer School's June session (one month).
The Summer School offers two programmes, one in social sciences and the other in French. Scholarship winners choose one of the two programmes and also get to take a specific 24-hour course focused on transformative leadership in the African context.
Stage 1: Application to the Scholarship (Eligibility)
Applications for the scholarship take place between the months of October and January. Applications for eligibility must be received no later than midnight (Paris time) on 19 January 2020.
Eligible applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- You must currently be a Mastercard Foundation scholar at a Mastercard Foundation partner institution;
- You must demonstrate a track record of leadership and/or service within your community.
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website. Candidates will be asked to:
- Give personal information;
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the partner institution supporting their application as well as a Mastercard Foundation Scholarship certificate;
- Provide information and proof concerning their educational and extra-curricular experiences.
As part of their application, candidates for the scholarship will be asked to outline their diverse experiences and their vision of the issues that specifically affect the African continent. The candidates’ answers will be reviewed by the scholarship award committee.
Eligible candidates will receive email notification that they can now apply online to the June session of the Summer School without having to pay the application fee.
Candidates are encouraged to start their Sciences Po Summer School application as soon as admissions open in January. They should however only submit their application to Sciences Po after having received a notification that the application fee has been waived.
Please note: Eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
Stage 2: Application to Sciences Po (Admission)
Candidates eligible for the scholarship should then submit their application to the Sciences Po Summer School according to the Summer School admission procedure.
Please note: only applicants for the June session of the Summer School will be considered for the scholarship and applications must be submitted before 16 February 2020.
Stage 3: Scholarship award
12 full scholarships are offered for 2020 to candidates eligible for the scholarship and admitted to the Summer School. The results of the application process will be released before the end of March 2020.
Important: admission to the Summer School does not guarantee a scholarship award. In case of deferral of entry to the Summer School, the Mastercard Foundation scholarship award will be lost.
This list is updated regularly. Institutions wishing to become a programme partner should contact us by email.
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- African Leadership Academy
- American University of Beirut
- Arizona State University
- Ashesi University
- Carnegie Mellon University – Rwanda
- Duke University
- EARTH University
- Equity Group Foundation
- KNUST (Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology)
- Makerere University
- McGill University
- Michigan State University
- Stanford University
- Université d’Abomey Calavi
- University of British Columbia
- University of California Berkeley
- University of Cape Town
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Gondar
- University of Pretoria
- University of Toronto
- Wellesley College