Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships at the Summer School
Scholarships are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions authorized to nominate candidates. These scholarships are reserved for Mastercard Foundation Scholars.
Through a single application process, the scholarship supports scholars for two different programmes :
- A four-week in-person programme, duringh the Sciences Po Summer School's June session (from June 7 to July 1).
- A six-week online programme, bewteen May 31 and July 7 (this program is also open to Mastercard Scholars Program alumni): with 4 contact hours each week, this course gives participants the opportunity to work on real projects with social ventures in Africa.
Stage 1: Application to the Scholarship (Eligibility)
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website. Applications for the scholarship must be submitted before January 31, 2022.
Eligible applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- You must currently be a Mastercard Foundation scholar at a Mastercard Foundation partner institution, or a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program graduate if you apply for the online program;
- You must demonstrate a track record of leadership and/or service within your community.
Candidates will be asked to:
- Give personal information;
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the partner institution supporting their application as well as a Mastercard Foundation Scholarship certificate;
- Provide information and proof concerning their educational and extra-curricular experiences.
As part of their application, candidates for the scholarship will be asked to outline their diverse experiences and their vision of the issues that specifically affect the African continent. The candidates’ answers will be reviewed by the scholarship award committee.
Candidates are encouraged to start their Sciences Po Summer School application as soon as admissions open in January. They should however only submit their application to Sciences Po after having received a notification that the application fee has been waived.
Please note: Eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
Stage 2: Application to Sciences Po (Admission)
Candidates eligible for the scholarship should then submit their application to the Sciences Po Summer School according to the Summer School admission procedure.
Please note: only applicants for the June session of the Summer School will be considered for the scholarship and applications must be submitted before February 28, 2022.
Stage 3: Scholarship award
13 full scholarships are offered for 2022 to candidates eligible for the scholarship and admitted to the Summer School.
Important: admission to the Summer School does not guarantee a scholarship award. In case of deferral of entry to the Summer School, the Mastercard Foundation scholarship award will be lost.
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
- African Leadership Academy
- American University of Beirut
- Arizona State University
- Ashesi University
- Carnegie Mellon University – Rwanda
- Duke University
- EARTH University
- Equity Group Foundation
- KNUST (Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology)
- Makerere University
- McGill University
- Michigan State University
- Stanford University
- United State International University - Africa
- Université d’Abomey Calavi
- University of British Columbia
- University of California Berkeley
- University of Cape Town
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Gondar
- University of Pretoria
- University of Toronto
- Wellesley College