Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships for Graduate Study
Scholarships are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions accepting the terms and conditions of the nomination framework. To be considered, all applications must be supported by an institution accepting the terms and conditions of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
The scholarship is awarded for the duration of a Master's programme (two years). All the Master's programmes offered at our seven graduate schools are compatible with the scholarship, except for one-year Master's programmes and dual-degree programmes.
Most of our Master's programmes are taught in English and do not require prior knowledge of French.
Stage 1: Application to the Scholarship (Eligibility)
Applications for the scholarship take place between the months of October and December. 2020 application deadlines will be announced in September 2020.
Eligible applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- You must have completed your undergraduate studies at a foreign higher education institution and have at least a Bachelor's degree;
- Minimum C1 level in English or French depending on the programme you are applying to (see language requirements);
- You must be able to show that you lack financial means to pursue higher education.
Candidates will be asked to:
- Give personal information;
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the institution supporting their application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program;
- Provide information and proof concerning their educational and extra-curricular experiences.
As part of their application, candidates for the scholarship will be asked to outline their diverse experiences and their vision of the issues that specifically affect the African continent. The candidates’ answers will be reviewed by the scholarship award committee.
Candidates are encouraged to start their Sciences Po application and their application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program simultaneously. They should however only submit their application to Sciences Po after having received a notification that the application fee has been waived.
Please note: Eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
Stage 2: Application to Sciences Po (Admission)
Candidates eligible for the scholarship should then submit their application to Sciences Po according to the international graduate admissions procedure.
Stage 3: Scholarship award
18 full scholarships are offered for 2021 to candidates eligible for the scholarship and admitted to a Master’s Programme.
Please note: admission to Sciences Po does not guarantee a scholarship award. In case of deferral of entry to Sciences Po, the Mastercard Foundation scholarship award will be lost.