Apply for Mastercard Foundation Scholarships for Graduate Study
Scholarships are awarded in collaboration with a network of partner institutions accepting the terms and conditions of the nomination framework. To be considered, all applications must be supported by an institution accepting the terms and conditions of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program or by the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at their university.
The scholarship is awarded for the duration of a Master's programme (two years). All the Master's programmes offered at our seven graduate schools are compatible with the scholarship, except for one-year Master's programmes and dual-degree and joint programmes.
Most of our Master's programmes are taught in English and do not require prior knowledge of French.
Stage 1: Application to the Scholarship (Eligibility)
Applications for the scholarship take place between the months of October and December. Applications for the scholarship must be submitted before midnight (Paris Time) on November 25 2020.
Eligible applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- You must have at least a Bachelor's degree at the start of the following academic year;
- You must not be holding or currently pursuing a Master’s degree;
- You must be under 35;
- Minimum C1 level in English or French depending on the programme you are applying to (see language requirements);
- You must be able to show that you lack financial means to pursue higher education (please note that you will be asked to submit documentation attesting to your financial needs).
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website.
Candidates will be asked to:
- Give personal information;
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the institution supporting their application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (if your institution does not appear on the list below or does not host a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, the person signing your recommendation letter needs to contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org to become a partner of the program);
- Provide information and proof concerning their educational and extra-curricular experiences.
As part of their application, candidates for the scholarship will be asked to outline their diverse experiences and their vision of the issues that specifically affect the African continent. The candidates’ answers will be reviewed by the scholarship award committee.
Candidates are encouraged to start their Sciences Po application and their application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program simultaneously. They should however only submit their application to Sciences Po after having received a notification that the application fee has been waived.
Please note: Eligibility for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to Sciences Po, which entails a separate application process.
Stage 2: Application to Sciences Po (Admission)
Candidates eligible for the scholarship should then submit their application to Sciences Po according to the international graduate admissions procedure.
Please note: applications must be submitted before December 6, 2020.
Stage 3: Scholarship award
18 full scholarships are offered for 2021 to candidates eligible for the scholarship and admitted to a Master’s Programme.
Please note: admission to Sciences Po does not guarantee a scholarship award. In case of deferral of entry to Sciences Po, the Mastercard Foundation scholarship award will be lost.
This list is updated regularly. Institutions wishing to become a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program partner should contact us by email.
Candidates who are currently studying in an institution which is not listed as a partner or does not host a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program should encourage their institution to contact us by email (email@example.com). The person signing the nomination letter should be a member of the faculty or the administration qualified to attest to both the candidate’s academic qualifications and financial needs. They will be asked to agree to the terms and conditions of the nomination framework, which will be necessary for an application to be considered.
|Benin||Université d'Abomey Calavi|
|Ghana||Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology|
|Ghana||University of Cape Coast|
|Ghana||University of Ghana|
|Ivory Coast||Campus France|
|Kenya||Equity Group Foundation|
|Kenya||Hilde Back Education Fund|
|Kenya||University of Nairobi|
|Nigeria||IFRA (Institut français)|
|Nigeria||FAWE - Nigeria|
|Uganda||COBURWAS International Youth Organization to Transform Africa (CIYOTA)|
|Senegal||ISM - Dakar|
|South Africa||African Leadership Academy|
|South Africa||University of Pretoria|
|South Africa||University of Cape Town|
|South Africa||Wits University|
|South Africa||University of Western Cape|