Other healthcare coverage and insurance options

Your healthcare coverage abroad

If you are European, or covered by a European healthcare system, and leave France to complete a university exchange or internship in another European country (EU, EEA or Switzerland), you should take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you.

You can also get a more complete coverage by subscribing to a mutuelle plan in France that is valid in your host country.

If you are leaving Europe, whatever your nationality, you must choose from one of the following options:

You can find more information about healthcare coverage abroad on ameli.fr in the section, Partir étudier à l’étranger (FR) or on the site cleiss.fr in the section, Partir à l’étranger > études (FR) or on ec.europe.eu.

Civil Liability Insurance

Civil liability refers to the legal obligation to pay compensation for any actions causing bodily injury to another person or damaging their property. This can include accidental damage resulting from negligence, for example. To avoid incurring such costs, you can subscribe to a Civil Liability Insurance plan. In the event of any damage caused to a third party, the insurance company will cover the costs of the compensation.

By virtue of an agreement established between Sciences Po and the insurer MAIF, all our students are covered in their activities at Sciences Po or during internships or study-related travels in France and abroad for the following risks:

  • Civil Liability (accidental damage caused to a third party)
  • Personal Liability (bodily injury resulting from an accidental incident)
  • Repatriation (in the case of a severe accident, injury or illness)
  • Medical information or advice received abroad

Please note: This insurance is not and does not replace healthcare coverage.

Read the full insurance policy document. You can find a certificate of this insurance in your student space under the heading, Administrative Documents.

Home Insurance

Multi-risk home insurance is mandatory for housing leases in France. It insures your accommodation against rental risks, fire, water damage, natural disasters, theft. Your landlord will ask to see an insurance certificate before signing your lease and handing over the keys to your accommodation. Failure to present an insurance certificate may result in an immediate termination of the lease.

Find out more on our housing pages

Back to top