You should use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) issued in your country of origin.
If you do not possess a European Health Insurance Card or if you only possess an S1 form, you must register online with your local CPAM branch (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie). Find out how to register with the social security system in France.

If this is the first time you have enrolled in an institution of higher education in France, as per the France-Quebec agreement, you are eligible for health insurance. You must request a SE 401-Q-102 bis form, entitled “Attestation d’appartenance à un régime québécois préalablement au départ pour la France”, from the relevant authorities in Quebec (RAMQ). This form certifies that you are covered by health insurance in France.

No, mutuelle schemes are optional but recommended for students. They provide a complementary insurance plan that will guarantee you a higher rate of reimbursement on your medical costs. It is, however, necessary to register with the general social security system (CPAM) in order to sign up for an additional mutuelle.

Depending on your circumstances:

  1. If this is the first time you have enrolled in an institution of higher education in France, you must register with the general French social security system. Find out how to register.
  2. If you have already been enrolled as a student of higher education in France in previous years, you should already be registered with the social security system. You can find more information on the website under the heading, Students.


If you are European and will be staying in the EEA or Switzerland, you can use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Otherwise you should subscribe to the health insurance offered by your host university or purchase a complementary mutuelle plan that will cover your health costs in the country to which you are travelling. See our health insurance options page.

All students enrolled at Sciences Po benefit from an insurance plan with the company MAIF. This insurance is valid abroad and covers any activities relating to your studies for the following three risks:

  • Civil Liability (accidental damage to a third party)
  • Personal Liability (bodily injury resulting from an accidental incident)
  • Repatriation (in the case of a severe accident, injury or illness) 

You should ensure you carry a certificate of this insurance with you at all times. This can be downloaded in your student space under the heading, Administrative Documents. Important: this insurance is not and does not replace healthcare coverage.

Back to top