Youth & Leaders Summit: “Wars and Peace” (Day 3)
The 6th edition of the Youth & Leaders Summit will be dedicated to Wars and Peace: Solving Conflicts, Building Human Security and will be held online over three days on 18-19-20 January 2021.
Over 50 distinguished guest speakers from all over the world will participate, including diplomats, practitioners and academics.
World leaders and students of Sciences Po’s Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA) will tackle this overarching issue of Wars and Peace through a range of keynote speeches and panel discussions covering the vast array of issues at stake today in the world.
WEDNESDAY 20 JANUARY 2021
- Keynote Speech chaired by Liz Alderman, The New York Times (13:30-14:30)
By Carl Bildt, former Prime Minister, Sweden; former UN Special Envoy for the Balkans.
- Panel 7: Fighting Drugs, Terror, Organized Crime, Corruption: a Different War(14:45-15:45)
Chaired by Bruno Stagno Ugarte, Human Rights Watch ; former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Costa Rica. Student Greeter: Jelena Solovjova, PSIA student.
Guest speakers: Alfredo Durante Mangoni, Shervin Majlessi, Paulina Rios Maya, Susan Rose-Ackerman.
- Panel 8: Natural Resources and Global Commons: New Stakes, New Tensions (14:45-15:45)
Chaired by Sébastien Treyer, IDDRI (Institut du Développement Durable et des Relations Internationales). Student Greeter: Aji Fajri, PSIA student.
Guest speakers: Ushi Eid, Elena Grifoni-Winters, Naoko Ishii, Xinqing Lu, Lucile Maertens, Caitlin Ryan.
- Panel 9: Reforming Democracy for a more Peaceful World (14:45-15:45)
Chaired by Christian Lequesne, Professor, Sciences Po. Student Greeter: Sophia Otoo, PSIA student.
Guest speakers: Charlotte Osei, Akshaya Jose Devasia, Ivan Krastev, Mohamed Mahmoud Mohamedou, Kati Piri.
Keynote Speech: “From hawk to dove” (17:15-18:15)
By Juan Manuel Santos, former President, Colombia; Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
Welcomed by Lakhdar Brahimi, Elder; Chairman, Strategic Committee, PSIA, Sciences Po; former UN Under-Secretary-General and UN Special Envoy; former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Algeria; former Ambassador, Algeria.
Chaired by Cornelia Woll, Full Professor of Political Science, Sciences Po.
- Concluding remarks (18:15-18:30)
- Lakhdar Brahimi, Elder; Chairman, Strategic Committee, PSIA, Sciences Po; former UN Under-Secretary-General and UN Special Envoy; former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Algeria; former Ambassador, Algeria
- Enrico Letta, Dean, PSIA, Sciences Po
PSIA thanks Microsoft for their support of the Youth & Leaders Summit and The New York Times for their media partnership.