Last updated 10/05/2021
MAY 2021: NEW CHAIRPERSON AND NEW MEMBERS
The members of the FNSP Board of Directors (FR, pdf, 850 Ko) elected Prof. Laurence Bertrand Dorléac as Chairperson on Monday, 10 May 2021.
The Board also elected new members:
- First Vice-President: Laurence Parisot, President of CITI France
- Second Vice-President: Philippe Martin, University Professor at the IEP of Paris, Deputy President of the CAE.
- Third Vice President: Alexandre Mariani, Head of Cooperation with China and South-East Asia, Secretary of the Social and Economic Committee (CSE)
The new Chair will exercise her mandate for a period of five years, within a Board of Directors that has been largely renewed over the last few months with 11 new members out of 25:
- six new Founding Members out of the ten members of the college of Founding Members, elected on 20 April 2021: Audrey Azoulay, Laurence Bertrand Dorléac, Alexandre Bompard, François Delattre, Ramon Fernandez, Philippe Martin.
- five new members elected by the institution's faculty and staff: Carlo Barone, Horatia Muir-Watt (representatives of the professors elected on 19 March 2021), Charlotte Halpern (representative of the lecturers elected on 19 March 2021), Régine Serra and Gessica Jean (representatives of the managerial staff and employees, elected on 2 April 2021)
> See the full list of new members of the Board of Directors (FR, pdf, 850 KB).
RENEWAL OF MANDATES IN 2021
The Board of Directors of the Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques, in accordance with the statutes of the FNSP, is composed of ten members "representatives of the Founders", or by abbreviation "Founding Members", out of 25 members (see the list of members, pdf 766 Kb, in French).
In 2021, it is among these ten Founding Members that the Board of Directors had to elect its new Chairperson, by secret ballot and with a majority of two-thirds. Six new Founding Members also had to be appointed:
- two had resigned: Marc Guillaume and Olivier Duhamel
- four had reached the end of their mandates: Louis Schweitzer, Jean-Paul Fitoussi, Michel Pébereau and Pascal Lamy.
MISSION OF THE RESEARCH COMMITTEE
Under the procedure in place until now, the Founding Members alone co-opted the new Founding Members and proposed to the Board of Directors a candidate for the Chair.
In order to introduce more collegiality and transparency into the process of nominating the Chair of the Board of Directors and appointing the Founding Members, Acting President Louis Schweitzer announced on 13 January 2021 the creation of a research committee.
This research committee was made up of ten people:
- five appointed by the 25 Founding Members: Jean-Paul Fitoussi, Laurence Parisot, Michel Pébereau, Pascal Lamy and Louis Schweitzer
- four members stemming mainly from the permanent faculty of Sciences Po, appointed by the teachers elected to the Board of Directors: Jeanne Lazarus, Thierry Mayer, Julie de la Sablière and Hélène Thiollet
- and Alexandre Mariani, Vice-President of the Board of Directors, Secretary of the Social and Economic Committee of the FNSP, appointed on 6 April 2021 by the research committee following the resignation of Laurence Bertrand Dorléac;
The task of this research committee was to examine the candidates for the chair of the FNSP and to make a proposal to the entire Board of Directors, which then decided on the candidate. If the candidate obtained the required two-thirds majority of the votes, he or she was to be designated as the future Chair of the FNSP by the Founding Members currently in office.
At the same time, the research committee drew up a list of ten names from which the Founding Members chose five to complete the college of Founding Members.
RESEARCH COMMITTEE MEETINGS AND DECISIONS
- The research committee had a number of meetings in February and March. It examined the proposals for the replacement of the Founding Members and the candidacies for the chair, and discussed them extensively. The committee also interviewed three candidates for the chair: Nonna Mayer, sociologist and emeritus director of research at the CNRS, Pascal Perrineau, political scientist at Sciences Po and President of the Alumni Association, and Roman Rancière, professor of economics at the University of Southern California.
- At the end of its work and after the three hearings, the research committee submitted Nonna Mayer's candidacy for the chair to an informal meeting of the FNSP Board of Directors. The members of the Board of Directors met on 1 April and issued a divided, but ultimately negative vote on this candidate, who did not receive the two-thirds of the votes (11 votes for, 10 votes against and 2 blank votes).
- The research committee met on 2 April and decided to relaunch the search procedure for the chair of the FNSP: applications could be sent to the Acting President Louis Schweitzer until Wednesday 7 April at 3PM at email@example.com.
- The research committee met on 7 April at 7PM. It took note of the four candidacies duly submitted within the deadline for the chair of the FNSP. After deliberation, it decided by a unanimous vote to proceed with the hearing of Mr Bertrand Badie and Mrs Laurence Bertrand Dorleac on 9 April. After deliberation, it decided by a unanimous vote to reject the candidacies of Mr Pascal Perrineau and Mr Romain Rancière.
- On 9 April 2021, the research committee heard Mr Bertrand Badie and Ms Laurence Bertrand Dorléac. After deliberation, it unanimously decided to propose to the Board of Directors the candidacy of Mrs. Laurence Bertrand Dorléac for the chair of the FNSP.
- Laurence Bertrand Dorléac's candidacy was presented to the Board of Directors at a new informal meeting on 15 April 2021: it was validated by 20 votes out of 23.
- The college of the Founding Members met on 20 April to elect six new members: Audrey Azoulay, Laurence Bertrand Dorléac, Alexandre Bompard, François Delattre, Ramon Fernandez and Philippe Martin.
- At the meeting of 10 May 2021, the members of the Board of Directors elected the new Chairperson, Laurence Bertrand Dorléac, and the members of the Bureau.