Sciences Po has just announced a new partnership with Strathmore University, in Nairobi, Kenya, with the creation of a double Bachelor and Master’s degree. Frédéric Mion, President of Sciences Po, is “very pleased to announce this partnership with an excellent Kenyan university, [and] foresee[s] the possibility of numerous collaborations with Strathmore, for its diversity, vibrancy and global openness.”
In this programme, students will spend their first 3 years at Strathmore completing their Bachelor’s, and then 2 years pursuing their Master’s at Sciences Po. Similar types of programmes have already been successfully established with other Sciences Po partners such as Johns Hopkins and Waseda universities.
This is the first agreement signed by Sciences Po with an African university since the inauguration of Sciences Po’s office in Nairobi one year ago. It marks a key step forward in forging links in anglophone Africa, providing students with a unique opportunity to learn and live in two different parts of the world.
Since opening the Sciences Po office in Nairobi:
- 2 new student exchange agreements (MoUs) have been signed: 1/ Strathmore University (1st ranked private university Kenya) and 2/ United States International University - Africa ( 2nd ranked private university). Students exchanges are to begin both ways starting in September 2019 (4 incoming / 4 outgoing in total).
- 20 Kenyan high schools visited / relationships established with their counsellors
- Exchanges with approximately 1,500 students over the year
- Outreach missions to Tanzania, Rwanda and South Africa in 2019
- Meetings with 36 organizations of the Mastercard Foundation network
- Submitted Applications to Sciences Po from Kenya : 27 in 2018, 33 in 2019
- Mobilization of a network of 70 Sciences Po Alumni in Kenya ; gatherings already organized.
Sciences Po & Africa:
- More than 700 African students at Sciences Po in 2019
- 30 partner universities
- 30 Master's programmes with courses on Africa
- 200 students on the Europe-Africa programme in Reims
- 200 students taking the African Studies concentration of PSIA
- 25 languages taught including Swahili
- Over 100 study grants for African students each year funded by Sciences Po, including full scholarships
- An ambitious programme for 120 scholarships over six years proposed in partnership with The Mastercard Foundation. Sciences Po is the only partner of the MCF in continental Europe.
- Strathmore University
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme at Sciences Po: Financial aid for African students
- Inauguration of Sciences Po's office in Nairobi
- Read the Press Release