All you need to know about Undergraduate Applications

All you need to know about Undergraduate Applications

The Sciences Po Admissions team answers some of the most frequently asked questions from international applicants
  • Student writing ©Martin Argyroglo/Sciences PoStudent writing ©Martin Argyroglo/Sciences Po

The Sciences Po Undergraduate College is currently accepting applications from international students for the 2020 intake. To help you with your application, our admissions team has selected some of the most frequently asked questions from prospective international undergraduates.

What are the essential points to include in the personal statement for an undergraduate degree?

For the personal statement, our admissions team is ultimately interested in the reason why you want to study at Sciences Po and what you think you could contribute to the university. The personal statement is an opportunity to present your skills and motivation, and the most important thing is to give us a feel for your personality. Sciences Po is looking for students who are motivated, intellectually curious, and committed to making an impact in the world.

Do I have to get the qualifications in my application translated?

Copies of your transcripts and qualifications must be included in the original language version and be accompanied, where necessary, by an official or informal translation in French or in English (in English only for the programmes with Keio University and the University of Hong Kong).

What is the best way for international students to prepare for the admissions interview?

The interview is the second step in the admissions procedure and is only offered to shortlisted students. For the interview, applicants are asked to read and analyse a text within a short period of time, then deliver a structured oral presentation of their commentary. The interviewers then ask the candidate a series of questions pertaining to their presentation and to their application as a whole.

More information on the admissions interview and tips on how to prepare for it

What foreign languages (except for French and English) are available on each campus and how much time is spent in language classes?

The time spent in English or French classes differs according to the student’s level in the respective language. Classes are more intensive for those who are less advanced and meet several times a week. For the student’s second foreign language choice, sessions generally take place once a week. Beginners in languages which require the learning of a new alphabet may need to meet more often.

The availability of foreign languages, aside from English and French, depends on each campus’s regional specialisation.

How many hours can I expect to spend each week on university courses and study?

The amount of time spent in class each week depends on multiple factors, including your language levels in English and French and the number of optional courses. The same can be said for the number of hours spent on studying and coursework. Overall, students can expect to spend somewhere between 20-25 hours in class.

What are the tuition fees for undergraduate international students?

For students whose tax residence is within the European Economic Area, tuition fees are calculated according to a sliding scale based on household income, and will fall between €0 and €10,540*. Those residing outside of the European Economic Area pay fees of €10,540.

*(Maximum tuition fee for the 2019-2020 academic year).

More information on the tuition fee calculator

May I apply for both a dual Bachelor’s programme and an undergraduate programme at Sciences Po simultaneously?

Yes, depending on the dual degree you will need to submit two separate applications or a single application for both programmes.

If you are applying to one of the dual degree programmes with Freie Universität Berlin or the University of Hong Kong, you need to submit one application through Sciences Po’s system. You must select the dual degree as a first choice of programme and one of our undergraduate programmes as a second choice.

For the dual Bachelor’s programmes with UC Berkeley, Columbia University, the National University of Singapore, University of Sydney, University of British Columbia, or University College London, you must submit two separate applications: one on the website of the partner university for the dual degree (joint admission process) and the other on the Sciences Po website, where you will also be able to select one of our undergraduate programmes.

More information

Back to top