Master in International Security
Programme in English
120 ECTS minimum
Graduate Open House Day 2023
On 21 October 2023: meet faculty members, students, and representatives from our international mobility office, admission and student services and learn more about our Master’s programmes.
This event will be held online (dedicated platform and zoom sessions) and will be bilingual (English and French).
This Master in International Security at PSIA focuses on gathering the tools and knowledge to best apprehend and analyse issues in the international security field in the 21st century : changes in the international environment (remodelling of geopolitical systems, new forms of crises and conflicts, controversial military interventions, transnational terrorism, nuclear proliferation, cyberwarfare, etc.), conflict-ridden regions and the specific internal transformations in security and defence activities (specialisation, institutional transformation, "judicialisation", new technologies, etc.)
Main orientations and specific features
This intensive two-year program is divided into three academic semesters and one semester dedicated to a professional internship or an exchange study program at a partner university.
Students study Master core courses each addressing the major themes of the international security field, and the social sciences such as security, strategy, defence economics, war and crises, peace, development and diplomacy.
Additionally, students must choose two concentrations from 13 thematic and 6 regional concentrations.
The program enjoys close collaboration with French defence institutions, notably the Saint-Cyr-Coetquidan military school and the École de Guerre allowing students to familiarise themselves with the existing articulations between public and private decision making in the fields of defence and security. This collaboration also allows them to acquire the theoretical and technical knowledge related to political-military relationships.
PSIA’s Pedagogical Committee approved an amended degree structure for students starting PSIA degree programs in September 2020. Further details regarding PSIA’s general program structure.
Below is the new degree structure for the Master in International Security:
If you choose the Enhanced Master option in place of a second concentration, you must choose one course from each block in semesters 1 and 2, and choose one course in three out of four blocks in semester 4.
The International Security program is aimed at applicants with a career plan. Previous work experience related to the field of international security is not a requirement, but it is certainly valued in the selection process. The majority of our international security graduates work in national administrations and governments, international organisations, non-governmental organisations as well as in private security and risk analysis companies. The main sectors of employment include defence, intelligence, consulting, peace-keeping, conflict resolution and reconstruction.
TESTIMONIALS FROM GRADUATES
- Camille, Partnership and Communication Officer, WFP, Copenhagen
- Akshaya, Research, Assessment, and Monitoring Officer at the UN World Food Programme, Cambodia
- Ole, Research Assistant in the Office of the Director, German Council of Foreign Relations
- Lukas, Junior Advisor, GIZ Ethiopia and Djibouti
- Bora, Junior Policy Analyst, Science, technology and Innovation, OECD
- Aleksandra, Geopolitical Intelligence & Travel Security Manager, Kering in Paris
- Andrès, Consultant ad Auditor, Synergy Global Consulting in Paris
- Wiola, Junior Analyst Policy, Crises & Fragility, OECD
- Héloïse, Regional Project Officer for Fragility, Crises and Conflicts, AFD's Sahel Office
- Sandor, Peacebuilding Fund Coordinator, UNDP in Sudan
- Marianne, Delegate, Weapon Contamination Unit, International Committee of the Red Cross in Afghanistan
- Sasha, Project officer, The Center for Humanitarian Dialogue in Bierut
- Lauranne, Political Attaché at the EU Delegation at Barbados
- Wiam, consultant, ReD Associates
- Shreya, Junior Assesment Officer, REACH Initiative
- Stijn, Project Development and Reporting Officer, IOM Niger
- Gabriela, Security Analyst, Crisis24
- Axelle, Deputy Operations Director, Anticip
- Olivier, Sales and Business Manager, Safran Electronics & Defense
- Beatrix, Security Manager, Société Générale
Discover 2023 Summa Cum Laude: Johanna Gummel