Dual Degree - Peking University
Peking University at a glance
Peking University is a comprehensive and national key university. The campus, known as "Yan Yuan" (the garden of Yanï), is situated at Haidian District in the western suburb of Beijing, with a total area of 274 hectares. It stands near to the Yuanmingyuan Garden and the Summer Palace.
The university has effectively combined research on important scientific subjects with the training of personnel with a high level of specialized knowledge and professional skill as demanded by the country's socialist modernization.
Peking University has become a center for teaching and research and a university of a new type, embracing diverse branches of learning such as basic and applied sciences, social sciences and the humanities, and sciences of medicine, management, and education. Its aim is to rank among the world's best universities in the future.
Peking University’s School of International Studies (SIS) is the first such school founded in China. It is an important teaching and research platform devoted to the training of specialized talents in international studies, international political economy and diplomacy.
A high standard collaboration
The Sciences Po-PKU Dual Master’s Degree is a collaborative program on general international studies and is multidisciplinary by nature, covering political science, international political economy, and emerging subjects like energy and environment in international studies. It emphasizes multicultural perspectives on global security and developmental issues and provides a unique opportunity for students to study international affairs at Paris in Europe and Beijing in Asia.
The training stresses the links between public and private decision making on one side and their multiple determinants on the other side : (i) state of scientific and technical knowledge that govern evaluation processes, (ii) representations of social issues and positioning of the civil society, (iii) economic and legal tools for governance practices.
The dual degree Sciences Po–Peking University is a two-year academic program. Students spend their first year studying at Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA), Sciences Po, where they choose between the 7 specialised masters offered in international affairs. In the second year, students join the School of International Studies (SIS) at Peking University to study a Master of International Relations with an emphasis on security and development issues and a regional focus on China and the Asia-Pacific region.
Students remain enrolled in both institutions for both years; they will therefore benefit from all the students’ services (free access to library, student unions, career services…).
Year 1 at Sciences Po
During the first year of the dual degree, students join the Paris School of International Affairs at Sciences Po (PSIA).
Students joining PSIA may choose one of the following master’s programs during the first year of the dual degree:
- Master in International Security
- Master in International Public Management
- Master in International Economic Policy
- Master in Environmental Policy
- Master in International Development
- Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action
- Master in International Energy
Dual degree students have to complete the required courses related to their chosen Master at PSIA. In addition, dual degree students must take at least one course on China during the first semester at PSIA.
Year 2 at Peking University
During the second year of the dual degree, students join the School of International Studies at Peking University (SIS-PKU).
At Peking University the students will write a thesis.
According to Peking University’s requirement, the students should submit a dissertation and perform oral defense of the dissertation by the end of Semester 4.
At Peking University, while Chinese students will take French language classes, international students will take Chinese language classes.
Final graduation will rely on the validation by the student of both years of the programme. Therefore, students will get a temporary graduation in July at Sciences Po, while the final graduation is upon the completion of all required studies at Peking University in the second year.
All Candidates to the dual degree apply through Sciences Po’s website, regardless of nationality. For more information.
This application is specific to the dual degree program and is not transferable to other programs at either institution. Students who wish to be considered for admission to other Sciences Po or PKU programs must fulfil all relevant application requirements for those programs.
Documents submitted for the application should be in English or accompanied by a translation. Also the referee form and the personal statement are to be completed in English.
Applicants do not have to be already enrolled at Sciences Po or PKU to apply to the dual degree.
The dual degree is open to all candidates worldwide.
- Note: Applicants holding the nationality of the People's Republic of China (PRC), including students who are already studying at an overseas university (i.e. outside of China), must either have the recommendation eligibility to the SIS or pass the National Entrance Examination for Postgraduate students in China. For further information about the Examination and about the application process please contact Ms. Liu Lu.
- Applicants from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan must meet the application eligibility of PKU Graduate Student, see here. Besides applying online through Sciences Po’s website before February 1, 2019, applicants from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan also need to apply online through PKU’s website before December 10, 2018. For PKU online application, applicants need to indicate applying to this program in Chinese in both online and hard copy of application materials, as well as on the cover of application materials posted to designated office. Please contact Ms. Hu Jinzi at firstname.lastname@example.org
For international applications, online pre-registration steps with PKU are needed after receiving the joint offer from the program. Applicants with offers need to fill out the registration form, make the registration fees and submit the online registration. A hard copy with photos will be needed to send to PKU by post. Detailed information will be sent to admitted students.
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
Students must pay the tuition fees applicable in their host institution (Sciences Po for Year 1 and Peking University for Year 2).
For more information on tuition fees:
- Tuition fees at Sciences Po
- Tuition fees at Peking University
- For English information on the payment of the tuition fees (currency and procedure), please check with Ms. Hu Jinzi
For more information on financial aid:
- Financial aid at Sciences Po
- Peking University offers 1 scholarship to one international student for the year 2. For further information, please check with Ms. Hu Jinzi
- During the first year the international students can also apply to the Chinese Government Scholarship program for Year 2. Information is provided by the Chinese Scholarship Council and the Chinese Embassy of the student’s country of origin.
Upon successful completion of studies at both institutions, students will be conferred a Master degree from Sciences Po and a Master Degree of Law from PKU.
Graduates from the program have been employed all over the world in a wide variety of international organizations, multinational corporations, public entities, and the media sector. Many students have also progressed to doctoral research.
At Sciences Po:
- For questions regarding admission procedures (application, scholarship, requirements, etc.)
- For further queries, please contact Huayin Liu - Sciences Po Representatives in China or email@example.com
- PSIA: please contact the academic advisor for the Master you are applying to and/or Catarina Laranjeira, Assistant Dean for Admissions, Paris School of International Affairs
- Ms. Hu Jinzi at School of International Studies, Peking University, 100871 Beijing China
- Ph.: 8610-6275-9615 (Tel)
- Fax: 8610-6275-8954 (Fax)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.sis.pku.edu.cn