Bachelor of Arts: third year
The study abroad experience in the third year of the Bachelor program is dependent on the health situation in destination countries as well as the capacity for partner universities to host students.
For students who are unable to complete the fall semester at their host university, Sciences Po has constructed an academic program that combines excellence and innovation, with a strong international component.
You are spending the fall semester of your third year at Sciences Po
The curriculum for the fall semester of the third year was created to allow to fulfill requirements for the major and has been structured with the following courses, for a total of 30 ECTS:
- 2 disciplinary lecture courses within your major (24 hours, 5 ECTS each). These lecture courses will not be supplemented by discussion sections.
- 1 course to be chosen from the Common Academic Curriculum, offered at the Master’s level (24 hours, 5 ECTS)
- 3 seminars to be chosen from the offering of the 7 campuses of the Sciences Po College (24 hours, 5 ECTS each)
- Or 2 seminars to be chosen from the offering of the 7 campuses of the Sciences Po College (24 hours, 5 ECTS each) and 1 language course offered by your campus (5 ECTS)
For a limited number of students, depending on availability, and the approval of the applications received by each campus director, it will be possible to conduct an Initiation to Research Internship (i.e. 12 hours maximum per week for 10 weeks, for a total of 120 hours throughout the semester, 10 ECTS). The Initiation to Research Internship will be carried out within a research center approved by the Sciences Po College, and will replace two seminars of the above curriculum structure.
Concerning language courses, in order to ensure a smooth start to the semester, we ask that you respect the following guidelines for your course registration:
- registration in one of the languages you were enrolled in during the previous semester (only one language is possible for the fall semester)
- registration in the language level indicated by your instructor the previous semester (changes to language level will not be authorized)
- Following the completion of course registration, modifications to language course enrollment will not be possible.
List of courses
Civil Learning Programme
In complement to the first- and second-year field experiences, students will have the option to conduct part of their optional independent civic project (3 ECTS credits), during the fall semester. The specific terms of implementation will be indicated at a later date by the Civic Learning advisors and will take into account the development of the health situation.
In addition, it will be possible to submit your Capstone Project starting on 14 December 2020. Please note that the final deadline to submit your Capstone Project remains unchanged: Monday, 19 April 2021.
Optional internships are authorized within the general framework defined by our institution. Optional internships can in no way replace a semester of study and will not be credited.
You are spending the fall semester of your third year at a host university
For any questions, please consult the FAQ about Third Year / Study Abroad or contact your regional manager of the Sciences Po International Affairs Division.
You are looking for information about the third year abroad
During the compulsory third year abroad, students complete their major coursework in one of Sciences Po’s 470 partner institutions in a destination chosen in perfect coherence with their first two years at Sciences Po’s Undergraduate College.
Depending on their third year academic project, students may pursue their third year in a university within the region of focus of their campus, or elsewhere in the world while taking classes related to the campus’ region of focus.
At the end of the third year, each student submits a Capstone Project. This exercise asks students to demonstrate, using critical analysis, the links between their major coursework and field experiences conducted within the Civic Learning Programme throughout the three year in the College.
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.