A transdisciplinary approach
Firmly transdisciplinary in its outlook and approach, the Chair will develop integrative thinking in economics, sociology, technology and the humanities. It will place emphasis on the fundamental issues of securing social inclusion, enhancing environmental sustainability and achieving economic growth. It will promote the design and implementation of national and European public policies advancing the objectives of the UN’s 2030 Agenda and the European Green Deal.
An ecosystem of actors
The Chair also aims to create a wide-reaching interdisciplinary and transnational ecosystem to impulse research, training and innovation around themes such as territorial well-being and social inclusion, climate finance, biodiversity conservation and climate smart infrastructure. In doing so, the Chair will open up new avenues for actively engaging citizens, businesses and public services. It will contribute to the success of major international programmes and initiatives for the protection of the planet.
Multiple objectives and initiatives
The Chair will allow Sciences Po to:
- Consolidate and develop its offering of specialized teaching programs relating to issues of sustainable development and climate transition.
- Enrich training of civil servants and staffs of companies and civil society organizations in executive training courses in order to enhance their capacity to effectively deal with social and environmental challenges in post-Covid-19 societies.
- Develop innovative solutions for governments and companies thgrough research efforts to help advance the carbon neutrality commitments of the European Green Deal and the One Planet Summit.
- Promote dialogue and exchange of strategic and policy recommendations between key stakeholders from the ecosystem, involving the humanities, natural sciences and social science disciplines.
The Chair will create a dedicated space at Sciences Po for dialogue and collaboration between researchers, professionals, students and civil society stakeholders both within Europe and beyond. Its calendar of events will coincide with the major deadlines of international agreements.
This is the first Sciences Po Chair affiliated to two of the university’s Graduate Schools. Co-hosted by the School of Public Affairs and the Paris School of International Affairs, the Chair is directed by Shiv Someshwar, a specialist in environmental issues. Someshwar is Professor at Sciences Po and a visiting professor at Columbia University.
The Chairholder is supported by the following two committees:
- The Scientific Committee is composed of experts, external partners, the Deans of the School of Public Affairs and the Paris School of International Affairs. Assisting the Chairholder, the Scientific Committee will determine the strategic orientation of research, training, education, and outreach activities annually. The current external members of the Scientific Committee include Prof. Jeffrey Sachs (USA), Prof. Laurence Tubiana (France), Julia Marton-Lefèvre (France), Sunita Narain (India), Prof. Rizaldi Boer (Indonesia), Roberto Lenton (Sri Lanka), Naoko Ishii (USA) and Carlos Lopes (South Africa). The committee is in the process of being expanded.
- The Steering Committee is composed of the Deans of the School of Public Affairs and the Paris School of International Affairs, the Chair Holder, a Strategic and Development Department representative and representatives of the sponsors. . This committee will oversee the Chair’s annual budget and an annual report on its activities, following the strategic orientation defined by the Scientific Committee. The committee, whose members currently include Enrico Letta, Yann Algan and Shiv Someshwar (the Chair Holder), is in the process of being expanded.