Dual Degree with Sorbonne Université (faculté des sciences et ingénierie): Sciences & Social Sciences
A top multidisciplinary programme in the hard sciences and social sciences
Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) and Sciences Po jointly offer a dual undergraduate degree in the hard sciences and social sciences (BSc/BA).
This dual degree invites students to explore political, economic, social and cultural processes through a dialogue between the social sciences studied at Sciences Po (law, economics, contemporary history, political humanities, political science and sociology) and science at UPMC (biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics and physics).
In second year, students have the opportunity to choose a concentration in "maths-computer science", "chemistry-biology" or "maths-physics", combined with a multidisciplinary social science major.
The objective is for students to gain a deeper understanding of scientific issues and subjects thanks to the acquisition of specific scientific expertise combined with a social science perspective. These two complementary approaches offer students solid conceptual and methodological tools with which to parse the world's complexity.
This programme aims to develop skills essential to performing well in academic, civic, international and professional environments, including:
- Understanding the key concepts of the social sciences, based on the study of major written and visual works (literature, history, philosophy, political science, sociology, law, economics);
- Critically interpreting facts by situating them in their historical, cultural, social, economic and political context;
- Developing intellectual agility by being confronted with different ways of thinking and acting, by establishing links and by drawing on relevant knowledge;
- Building independent, precise and structured reasoning that integrates the specific methodology appropriate to the different types of exercise.
Students have a demanding, specially arranged schedule so they can attend their weekly classes at both institutions.
They spend their third year abroad at one of the partner universities of either Sciences Po or UPMC, in more advanced study of their chosen disciplines. Students are required to earn sufficient relevant credits for both parts of the curriculum during their international mobility.
Depending on their career plan, graduates of the programme choose to pursue their Master's studies at Sciences Po or UPMC, or to start another programme in France or abroad.
At Sciences Po :
- Frist-year, semester 1 (fr.)
- Frist-year, semester 2 (fr.)
- Second year, semester 3 (fr.)
- Second year, semester 4 (fr.)
At Université Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) : dual degree in sciences & social sciences (fr.)
For more information, please contact Kyle Schneider.