- Alumni & Donors
- strict warning: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /localstore/www/kit2site02/sites/all/modules/links/links_related.module on line 197.
- strict warning: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /localstore/www/kit2site02/sites/all/modules/links/links_related.module on line 433.
- strict warning: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /localstore/www/kit2site02/sites/all/modules/links/links.inc on line 1451.
Master in Public Affairs
1-year Master for mid-career professionals
The Master in Public Affairs (MPA) is Sciences Po's flagship full-time one-year programme for mid-career professionals interested in public policy and the interaction of public and private sectors. It prepares students for today's policy environment which is co-developed, co-produced and co-managed by empowered individuals.
The programme focuses on policy design and implementation as well as on the management of public affairs, and introduces participants to real-world policy problems. Graduates will be equipped with new skills to navigate between local and global perspectives, and from public-private partnerships to international organisations and civil society. In particular, the MPA will:
- Foster their analytical capacity through a multidisciplinary approach
- Develop their managerial skills, with a focus on leadership, negotiation, crisis communication, decision-making and budgeting
- Equip graduates with a multidimensional and panoramic vision of public affairs that embraces a plurality of values, ethics and cultural contexts.
Innovative teaching methods
The MPA emphasizes interdisciplinary analytical tools and hands-on training workshops. It uses case studies and relies on the experience and the diversity of the student body. A high level of interaction is enabled by the small size of the class (the programme enrols 25 to 30 students per year).
Students are also engaged in a policy lab exercise, which gives them the opportunity to collaborate with clients to co-develop and test solutions for public policy challenges in the field.
Structure and Curriculum
- One-week orientation period in August to refresh students' quantitative skills, to introduce major policy issues which will be discussed throughout the year, and to launch their individual projects.
- Fall Semesterconsisting of:
- two core courses*, Public Policy and Macro Economics for Public Policy;
- one common core curriculum course;
- and two courses to be chosen among the policy streams offer or the electives.
- Two-week session in January to develop practical skills and focus on specific policy issues.
- Spring semesterconsisting of:
- three core courses, Policy Implementation, Public Economics and Leadership & Organizational Change;
- combined with two elective courses to be chosen among the policy streams offer or the electives;
- and the Policy Lab.
- Summer session consisting of advanced courses and focusing on developing practical leadership and management skills.
In addition to the above, students may choose to enrol in a language course. Non-French speakers are particularly encouraged to enrol in French language classes.
The overall required number of credits is 80 ECTS (or 20 standard Sciences Po courses).
*Standard courses at Sciences Po are 24 contact hours (12 sessions of 2 hours, over 12 weeks) with about the same number of hours of work outside the classroom. One 24 hour-class is worth 4 ECTS credits.
The MPA relies on Sciences Po's world-class faculty and its unparalleled network. It engages the alumni community for guiding students' project work, for master classes and students' career development.
Sergei Guriev - Professor of Economics at Sciences Po, chief Economist of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
Prior to joining Sciences Po, Prof. Guriev was the rector of the New Economic School in Moscow. His research interests include contract theory, corporate governance, political economics and labour mobility.
Eligibility and admissions
The candidates should be committed to promoting public good. They should have at least five years of professional experience in the public, private or non-profit sector, be proficient in English ((demonstrated C1 level), and hold at least a Bachelor's degree.
Admissions are now open: find out more on admissions procedure.
Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition for the entire program is set at 21 000€. Sciences Po awards scholarships to a select number of Students, in the form of tuition reduction. These tuition reductions range from 10% to over 50%.
Find information on other sources of financial aid on the Bursaries and financial aid page.
The MPA is a full-time one-year programme. It starts mid-August, and ends in early July.
Students can specialize by choosing courses in the policy streams:
- Administration publique
- Cultural Policy and Management
- Digital, New Technology and Public Policy
- Economics and Public Policy
- Energy, Resources and Sustainability
- Global Health
- Management and Public Affairs
- Markets and Regulation
- Politics and Public Policy
- Social Policy and Social Innovation
Or among electives