Master's in Economics
Programme in English
120 ECTS minimum
Information Sessions: Masters
Find out more about the Masters programs and the wide choice of specialisations offered by the 7 Schools of Sciences Po during our webinars dedicated to applicants.
The Masters in Economics is the gateway to the PhD program in economics. The Masters focuses on the following elements:
- Training in the technical and methodological foundations of microeconomics, macroeconomics, and econometrics in the first year;
- A range of specialty courses in the second year;
- A research paper supervised by a member of Sciences Po's department of economics.
The program is taught entirely in English
The program is for students seeking to acquire technical, quantitative and concrete skills in economics. It enables students to pursue a PhD (it is the only Sciences Po Masters degree that qualifies students for a doctorate in economics), but also provides access to careers requiring technical skills such as international organizations, think tanks and consulting services.
This Masters program is now internationally renowned:
- The top graduates of this Masters who subsequently pursued a PhD were admitted to the most prestigious PhD programs, such as those offered by Berkeley, Yale and Duke, as well as Sciences Po's doctoral program.
- The Masters in Economics is part of the prestigious European Masters Programme network that includes LSE, Oxford and Bocconi, among others, and is funded by Unicredit, which offers scholarships for top candidates.
- The team of international professors teaching in the Masters are mostly members of Sciences Po's department of economics.
This program is taught in English and requires command of the English language in addition to quantitative skills.
Please note: This Masters is also available in the form of a joint degree with Paris 1: Dual Degree in Economics and Quantitative Economics.
Structure of the programme
The first year of the program is designed to provide students with technical skills in microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics. Certain elective courses are offered in other fields such as political science.
The second year includes more elective courses, allowing students to specialize in their area of interest. The last semester is primarily devoted to writing a research paper under the supervision of a member of the department of economics.
Master Thesis in Economics: discover the best master thesis
Please refer to the admissions website.
Beyond the general scholarships and financial aid from Sciences Po, the Department of Economics offers 5 scholarships of fees waivers worth up to 8.000€ per year (for the two years, 16.000€ overall). These "Kellen scholarships" are eligible for applicants from all admission procedures to the master in economics and are based on academic excellence and dedication to postgraduate studies in economics. All admitted applicants are automatically considered without any specific application to do, the possible scholarship being mentioned at the admission stage. The Kellen scholarships cannot be combined with others offered by the Institution (including Emile Boutmy and Unicredit).
The core of the teaching staff are professors of the Department of economics. Some invited professors also participate.