Master in International Business and Sustainability
Programme in English
120 ECTS minimum
Information Sessions: Masters
Find out more about the Masters programs and the wide choice of specialisations offered by the 7 Schools of Sciences Po during our webinars dedicated to applicants.
From the start of the 2023-2024 academic year, the Master in International Management and Sustainability will be renamed the Master in International Business and Sustainability.
Objectives of the Master's degree
The International Business & Sustainability Master's programme provides a high-level, broad-based education in business, grounded in a world where sustainable development is a paramount concern for companies.
The program offers students the opportunity to pursue careers in various sectors, both in France and internationally, including finance, consulting, energy, food, commerce, mobility, and more.
The master's degree provides students with the necessary understanding and tools to take action through business in a transitioning world marked by ecological crisis, rising social inequalities, geopolitical imbalances, and current debates around "responsible capitalism," "sustainability," and "deglobalization" (reshoring of value chains). The role of businesses and business models must be reconsidered within this new framework.
The International Business & Sustainability Master's programme combines Sciences Po's academic excellence in social sciences and economics with professional training in the fields of strategy, management, sustainability, and the completion of case studies or group projects in companies (capstone).
- An international environment, with students from varied backgrounds and from all over the world.
- A two-year programme taught entirely in English
- An academically rigorous and multidisciplinary approach, extensive training in economics and management, expertise in sustainable development, CSR and social innovation. • A wide range of elective courses allow students to tailor the programme to their own personal and professional goals: impact investing, sustainable business models, circular economy, inclusive economy, functional economy, logistics, supply chain, energy and sustainable transport etc.
- Innovative teaching combining theory and practice, with emphasis placed on group work, oral and written communication and case studies.
- Compulsory participation in a Capstone Project throughout the first year of the Master’s (with mentoring from partner organisations financing the project).
- An excellent recruitment rate thanks to networking events with employers working on issues surrounding ecological and digital transition within multinational corporations and start-ups (in 2020, 53.3% of students found their first job prior to graduating).
- Option of enrolling in a dual degree with one of our partner universities: Bocconi University (Italy); Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden); University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School (USA); Fondação Getulio Varga - Escola de Administração de Empresas (Brazil).
- Privileged access to the Sciences Po Alumni network and the Centre for the Entrepreneurship (Fr) (incubator).
The first two semesters combine social science education on the major challenges of the contemporary world, particularly ecological and digital transitions, with a core set of management courses and specialized courses on various theories, trends, fields of activity, and professions related to sustainability and responsible business:
- Managerial economics
- Environmental economics, development economics, international political economy
- Microeconomics and macroeconomics
- Accounting and financial analysis
- Financial markets and sustainable investment
- Corporate strategy
- Responsible marketing
- Business law, environmental law, and human rights
- Philanthropy, impact investing, and common good
- Environmental limits, innovation, and new business models
- Data and statistics
- Negotiation management
- Responsible entrepreneurship
In the third semester, you have the opportunity to focus on topics directly related to your professional orientation, such as:
- Impact investing
- Circular economy, functional economy, inclusive economy
- Sustainable finance, impact finance, inclusive finance
- Sustainable supply chain and responsible procurement
- Sustainable food
- Sustainable fashion
The final semester is dedicated to a mandatory internship (of at least 14 consecutive weeks in France or internationally) and the Grand Oral, a mandatory individual oral examination at Sciences Po.
The gap year between the first and second year of the master's program is optional but recommended. Through two six-month internships in different types of organizations, the gap year allows students to refine their professional project and enhance their employability.
The courses are taught by faculty members of Sciences Po and professionals who are experts in their respective fields.
The International Business & Sustainability Master's programme also offers students the opportunity to obtain professional certifications (such as CFA, Bloomberg), thereby enhancing their chances of success.
The Sciences Po Master’s programme in International Business & Sustainability is taking place on the Paris campus.
Know more about the admission procedures of the Master in International Business & Sustainability.
Upon completing their education, graduates of the master's program pursue various positions both in France and internationally. Here are some examples of positions held by our graduates in the field of sustainable development:
- Sustainable development consultant
- Energy efficiency project manager
- Sustainable Development Sales Manager
- Green Marketing & Eco-Design Project Manager
- Responsible Procurement Officer
- Sustainable Development Communications Officer
Other positions held include:
- Biodiversity and Environmental Consultant
- Sustainable Development Consultant
- Management Consultant Strategy Consultant
- Industry and Services
- Right-hand (start-up)
- Regional Business Analyst
- Business Developer
- Category Manager
- Business Operations Manager
- Procurement Manager
- Digital Marketing Project Manager
- Data Analyst
- Climate Risk Analyst
- CSR Project Manager
- Human Resources
- CSR Project Officer
- Sustainability Officer
- Diversity Mission Officer
- Financial Analyst, VC, Investment
- Sustainable Finance Analyst
They work in multinational corporations, SMEs, financial institutions, consulting firms, or start-ups, and can operate in various sectors such as finance, energy, food, commerce, mobility, and consulting.
The program is particularly suitable for students considering careers in consulting, strategy, finance, business development, CSR, sustainability, or philanthropy.
Access to the job market is facilitated through numerous events (breakfast meetings, after-work gatherings, forums, interview preparation, etc.) that connect you with current recruiters and entrepreneurs, ensuring an excellent placement rate: 53.3% of the 2020 graduates found employment even before completing the master's program.
"My master's allows me to bring insightful thinking to the issues I face in my work." Read the full interview.
“Something that attracted me the most to this master's because I could have a career in whichever field interested me” Read the full interview.
"I enjoyed broadening my technical skills [...] while having in-depth intellectual reflection" Read the full interview.
"I now sit at the intersection between technology, business and sustainability is right where I want to be" Read the full interview.