Dean of the School of Public Affairs, ERC Project SOWELL, IZA Research Fellow, CEPR Research Fellow, Member of the Conseil d'analyse économique (for the Prime Minister), Board Member of OECD Commission on Well Being
Yann Algan joined the Department in 2008. He is also the Dean of the School of Public Affairs at Sciences Po. He is a member of the OECD High Level Expert Group on Well-Being, and is affiliated with CEPR and IZA.
His research focuses on Digital Economy and Public Action 3.0. He also specializes on social capital and well-being in relation to individual outcomes and economic behavior, with particular attention to the role of education, culture, and institutions. His work incorporates methods from psychology, sociology, and economics, including randomized evaluations of public policies.
His research has been recognised on both national and international levels. His awards include the "Best French Young Economist" (2009), and his books on trust and French society have been awarded the "Best French Economics Book and French Essay" (2009) and "Best French Economics Book, Prix Lycéen" (2013). In 2010 he was awarded an ERC Starting Grant for his project “Trust”. In 2015, he received a second ERC grant, a consolidator one, for the project “Sowell” on "Social Preferences, Well-Being, and Policy”.
Public Economics, Cultural Economics, Social Interactions, Political Economy, Experimental Economics, Labour Economics
- Essays on the determinants of wage inequality
- Early life adversity is associated with diminished social trust in adults
- Inattention in boys from low-income backgrounds predicts welfare receipt: a 30-year prospective study
- Les Origines du populisme
- Friendship Networks and Political Opinions: A Natural Experiment among Future French Politicians
- Qui sont les Gilets jaunes et leurs soutiens?
- Association of behavior in boys from low socioeconomic neighborhoods with employment earnings in adulthood
- Well-being through the Lens of the Internet
- The Trust Crisis
- Trust and Social Capital
See all publications