Graduate admissions: language requirements
Language requirements depend on the programme to which you are applying. When needed, test results must be attached directly into the online application.
If you are applying to two programmes with different requirements, you must take into account the highest level required.
- Prerequisites and supporting material by programme for two-year master's programmes and dual degree programmes
- Prerequisites and supporting material by programme for one-year master's programmes
Although for some programmes no specific English level is required for admission, you will be requested to prove a C1 English level by the end of your two years at Sciences Po in order to obtain your Master's degree.
Certain applicants may be exempted from a language test according to their situation.
Please check our language test exemptions page.
You must provide your language test results no later than:
- the Eiffel or Boutmy scholarship deadline if applicable; or
- the dual degree programme's deadline; or
- the Master's programme deadline (one-year or two-year Master’s programmes, excluding dual degree programmes) or 31 May 2023 (11.59pm, Paris time) at the latest
All deadlines always refer to Paris time (11.59pm). Please check the deadlines for the domestic graduate procedure or the international graduate procedure.
- your application to the Eiffel / Boutmy scholarships will not be taken into account without the required language tests.
- applications to Master's programmes (either one-year or two-year programmes) are processed even when the language test score is missing. Therefore, you may receive a conditional offer of admission or be declared not admitted before you provide the test.
- Three months may be needed to obtain your language test results. You must take the necessary precautions in order to provide your results whilst respecting the deadline. You must indicate the date on which you have or will pass the language test in your online application.
Conditional offer - Master’s programme
- the selection committee is ready to admit you, but your language test(s) scores are still missing: the offer will only be valid under the condition that you provide the required language test score on time. Your letter of admission will not be issued until you fulfill this requirement.
- Successful applicants who have received a conditional offer of admission should provide the requested language scores preferably before the deadline of the programme, and in any case by 31 May 2023 at the latest. Past this date, their admission will no longer be valid.
Dual degree programmes :
Applications to dual degree programmes will only be considered if they include the required language tests by the deadline of the selected programme. No conditional offers are issued for dual degree programmes.
Please note that language tests are valid for two years only (except for certificates). For the 2023 intake, tests must have been taken on 1 January 2021 or later.
Certificates (Cambridge, du DELF et du DALF, Deutsches Sprachdiplom (DSD), Goethe-Zertifikat, Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), Test Instituto Cervantes) have a lifetime validity.