Public Policy Incubator
This course is designed to ensure that students have the ability to co-create concrete solutions to improve citizen’s lives, public administration and private companies. The aim is to provide stakeholders with innovative, user-friendly and practical recommendations. On this occasion, innovative methodologies and high technologies are explored to foster open democracy and collective intelligence. Students gain professional experience by working on a real-world problem, following a single methodology to help them develop prototypes with experiential learning, evidence-based, data-driven and ethical approaches.
How does it work?
The Incubator is a program undertaken by first year Master students, during their second semester. The project gives them the opportunity to put learning into practice: it is based on a team effort to carry out prototypes and concrete solutions, using a community-based approach and civic technology. Students work in teams of 4-6 under the guidance of a coach who supervises their work on a real-world policy challenges with external partners.
Projects in 2019-2020
- "How to enhance the heritage of the Domaine de Chantilly through a more dynamic public and cultural policy" in partnership with the Institut de France;
- "How to provide support for young people in a festive environment for better risk reduction" in partnership with the Métropole de Nice;
- "How can we encourage individuals to use more environmentally friendly modes of transport? " in partnership with Beta.gouv (EcoLab);
- "How can farmers be guided in reducing their consumption of plant protection products? " in partnership with Beta.gouv (startup Peps);
- "How to think and design a public policy from its agenda to its concrete implementation?” - Concrete case study with the citizens' proposals of the "Convention citoyenne pour le climat" in partnership with Démocratie Ouverte;
- "How to use digital technology to improve the link between citizens and public authorities" in partnership with the Direction interministérielle du numérique et du système d'information et de communication de l'État (DINUM);
- "How to promote an environment favourable to our health all over the lifecycle and in all our living spaces (home, work, transport, etc.)" in partnership with the Direction générale de la santé (DGS);
- "How to simplify the relationship between users and public services? - Case study on the implementation of a France Service house", in partnership with the Préfecture d'Ille-et-Vilaine;
- "How can we re-imagine the prisons of tomorrow? Towards the design of experimental prisons" in partnership with the Ministère de la Justice;
- "How to strengthen transparency and data sharing on public policies through new technologies to restore trust in democratic processes" in partnership with the Agence française de développement (AFD);
- "How to make the mobility of commodities in French urban areas sustainable - and carbon-free -, particularly in the preparation of the 2024 Olympic Games" in partnership with the Groupe La Poste.
The Public Innovation Lab
The Public Innovation Laboratory was launched in 2019, in partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS), to entrust students with the opportunity to draw on the innovation techniques used by Amazon to create new products as well as on experts with in-depth technical knowledge to develop their prototypes in the cloud. This guidance will enable them to bring their ideas to life with the latest AWS technologies such as artificial intelligence, IoT, machine learning, and much more.