Sciences Po/International Max Planck Research School
The doctoral training jointly offered by Sciences Po and the IMPRS-SPCE of the Max Planck Institute and University of Cologne allows students pursuing a PhD in sociology or political science to specialize in economic sociology, political economy, and organizational theory.
Through exchange visits and joint seminars, participants will benefit from the intellectual strengths of both institutions and will be able, if they wish, to pursue a dual doctoral degree via the Franco-German cotutelle program.
Terms of exchange
To be eligible, candidates must be registered in the doctoral program of Sciences Po.
- For a simple exchange, they may spend from one month to one semester in Cologne.
- To obtain a dual doctoral degree under the framework of a Franco-German joint degree program, the candidate must spend two to three semesters at the partner institution.
Terms and Conditions
A mobility grant of 600 euros per month is awarded by the Max Planck / Sciences Po Center (MaxPo). Candidates will be hosted and will share an office at the Max Planck Institute in Cologne. The candidate is responsible for finding accommodation in Cologne, but the IMPRS-SPCE can provide useful information.
Students in the doctoral program in sociology or political science, currently in their first thesis year at Sciences Po, may apply for an exchange or a dual doctoral degree (cotutelle) within the framework of the cooperation program.
The application file should include:
- a cover letter in English
- a detailed CV in English
- a short summary of the doctoral thesis project
Applications must be sent electronically to Carine Boutillier at Sciences Po’s Doctoral School:
- For an exchange planned for the following spring or summer semester, no later than October 15th
- For an exchange planned for the following fall or winter semester, no later than March 15th
- For a cotutelle/dual degree, by October 15th of the first year of the doctoral thesis.
For more information
You will find more information about this exchange program on the website of Sciences Po’s Doctoral School and on the IMPRS-SPCE website.
Before applying, you may also contact Cornelia Woll, MaxPo co-director or Allison Rovny, MaxPo administrative director for more information.