Organisation of The Departement
The Department's main task to guarantee the quality, diversity and complementarity of the sociology programs on offer at Sciences Po, with a particular focus on how to best promote mastery of the principal tools and paradigms of our discipline.
It leads discussion and takes decisions on the way in which sociology is taught at Sciences Po, for instance through definition of models, recruitment of professors and teaching and research fellows, and general educational coordination of the discipline.
The principles of collegiality and responsibility are in our DNA and shape all our operations. These two core principles strengthen our academic community and its collective functioning, fostering a crucial sense of responsibility towards peers.
The Department is organised around three offices, each with a three-year term.
- A director, Marco Oberti, who coordinates the activities of the Department. The principal representative of the discipline in dealings with other areas of Sciences Po.
- An educational manager for the undergraduate program, Pierre François.
- A director of master and doctoral studies, Didier Demazière, in charge of the doctoral program and doctoral exchanges. Liaises with the Doctoral School on behalf of the Sociology Department.
Two principal organisms structure the life of the Department:
- The office, managed by the Director, has a function of interdepartmental coordination and preparation of general assemblies. In addition to the educational manager of the undergraduate program and the director of doctoral studies, it includes a number of elected members and laboratory directors, who have a permanent role in the coordination of the Department.
The office is currently composed of: Alain Chenu (Director of the OSC), Didier Demazière (Director of doctoral studies in sociologie), Sophie Dubuisson (elected member, CSO), Pierre François (educational mananger for the undergraduate program), Christine Musselin (Director of the CSO), Marco Oberti (Director of the Department) and Vincent Tiberj (elected member, CEE).
- A general assembly that brings together all of the permanent members of the Sociology Department for regular meetings. It is a forum for discussion and decision-making concerning the principles and general educational orientation of our discipline.