Information for readers with disabilities
Services to improve accessibility for all readers.
The Library offers services to readers with disabilities.Library staff is available to:
- assist readers with disabilities in reading rooms and at different information desks;
- inform you about services at your disposal;
- request closed-stacks material, collect direct access items and check-out materials for you;
- make photocopies or prints of library materials;
- digitize your items on a scanner equipped with character recognition software to make them accessible;
- to make loans and returns in the Saint-Guillaume and Saint-Thomas libraries from opening to closing;
- book the rooms at your disposal in the Saint-Guillaume and Saint-Thomas libraries.
A personal assistance can also be arranged. To make an appointment : email@example.com
Readers with disabilities are granted extended borrowing privileges as well as delivery service : material delivery in lockers at the 13 rue de l'Université cafeteria. Library access is free for readers with disabilities and their attendants, under certain conditions.
Automatic doors are installed at the entrance of the Saint-Guillaume library.
- Adjustable tables are installed in Saint-Thomas in the general library (6) and in the research library (2) and, in the Saint-Guillaume library, one table in the ground floor.
- In the Saint-Guillaume library, hearing induction loops are available at reference desks for hearing-impaired readers.
- Self-service checkout machine is accessible in each building
Following specific areas were set up for readers with disabilities. To book one of these spaces, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Two soundproofed rooms located in the lobby near the Saint-Thomas General Library;
- one soundproof room in the ground floor at Saint-Guillaume;
- workplaces with adjustable tables on the ground floor of 27 rue Saint-Guillaume, in the general library of Saint-Thomas and in the research library.
- Computer stations in each room, equipped with the following software :
- Jaws : voice synthesis software for Windows and documents
- Zoom Text : screen magnifier
- Adobe Digital Edition (for reading e-books)
- 4 PCs with braille keyboards connected to local and network printers as well as a braille embosser (room A)
- 2 image magnifiers connected to PC screens
- 2 scanners for digitizing documents, fitted with Omnipage 17 software (optical character recognition)
- 2 reading machines with integrated MP3 players for listening scanned documents
- 1 magnifying lamp (room A)
- 2 digital dictation software Dragon (PC 6601 room A et PC 5991 room B)
- 1 public phone (room A) to contact the Library accessibility assistant and the IT helpdesk at 01 45 49 77 99 (e-mail email@example.com)
On all Sciences Po campuses, employees and students can borrow adapted equipments :
- amplifiers sound
- portable video magnifier ( weight 300g )
Electronic databases with integrated voice synthesis, in particular :
- EbookLibrary, for e-books
- Factiva, press database, for articles
- Vocale presse, access from your personal computer (please contact firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Gallica, more than 4 348 725 documents searchable and downloadable freely, provided with “ listen mode” allowing text reading by voice synthesis
- BNFA (Bibliothèque Numérique Francophone Accessible)
- Eole, la bibliothèque numérique de l’association Valentin Haüy
- Les bibliothèques sonores de l’association donneurs de voix
- BDEA, Le catalogue de l’édition adapté
The Library offers on the ground floor of 27 rue Saint-Guillaume:
- DVDs , french fictions and documentaries ( some of them with subtitles for the hearing impaired) and foreign fictions and documentaries (mostly in subtitled original version)
- “Read books” audio CDs, classic texts recordings.