- Alumni & Donors
- The Center
- Research Training
Home > Richard Balme
Richard Balme is professor of political science at Sciences Po. He teaches public policy analysis, comparative politics, environmental politics and governance, and international relations. His recent research is focused on environmental and climate governance.
Among his publications are:
- European Governance and Democracy: Power and Protest in the European Union, (with D. Chabanet, Rowman and Littlefield 2008);
- Europe-Asia Relations: Building Multilateralisms, (with B. Bridges, Palgrave, 2008);
- “Multi-Level Governance and the Environment” (With Qi Ye, a special issue of Environmental Policy and Governance, May-June 2014);
- Smart Grids Applications and Developments (with . Li (Victor O.K.), Hills (Peter), Mah (Daphne), London, Springer Verlag, 2014);
- “Administration et Action Publique en Chine Contemporaine” (a special issue of Revue Française d’Administration Publique, September 2014);
- “Environmental Governance in China” (With Tang Renwu, a special issue of Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 36, 3, 2014);
- Leading Institutional Reforms in Francophone Africa. A Review of Five Case Studies (With Botton (Sarah), Nuka (Pallavi), Widner (Jennifer), Princeton University, Institute for Successful Societies, 2018.
Balme is scientific director for the Master in International Public Management at the Paris School of International Affairs (PSIA), director of the executive master in Development Policy and Management "Potentiel Afrique", and senior fellow at the Centre for European Studies and Comparative Politics. He coordinates the Atelier Interdisciplinaire de Recherche sur l’Environnement [AIRE] (Interdisciplinary Research Workshop on the Environment) at Sciences Po.
Richard Balme taught at the School of Public Policy and Management at Tsinghua University in Beijing, and at the School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University in the City of New York. He was appointed member of the Conseil Economique, Social et de l'Environnement, in France, 2012-2014. He is also Fellow at the Asian Energy Studies Centre of the Honk Kong Baptist University and associate with China Policy in Beijing. He is a member of the Council of Sciences Po.
Environmental and Climate Governance, EU-China Relations, Institutions and Public Policy
- L'écologie selon Xi Jinping
- Hidden Treasures: A Letter to the Children of Mother's Love
- L’Industrie a-t-elle besoin de l'Union Européenne ?
- La politique énergétique au cœur de la modernisation chinoise
- Environmental governance in the People’s Republic of China: the political economy of growth, collective action and policy developments – introductory perspectives