Chair for the Study of Religion
The co-directors collaborate with a scientific committee which helps to set the Chair's reseach agenda. It is composed of five people in addition to the co-directors.
- Kathy Rousselet, FNSP Research Professor (a specialist of religion in Russia);
- Nadia Marzouki, CNRS Researcher (a specialist of Islam and religious freedom in Europe and the United States);
- Philippe Portier, EPHE Researcher (a specialist of catholicism and secularism);
- Augustin Jomier, INALCO Associate professor (a specialist of cultural and social history of the Maghreb);
- Manoël Pénicaud, CNRS Researcher at the Maison méditerranéenne des Sciences de l'homme.
The Chair is the latest addition to an already dynamic teaching and research ecosystem in the study of religion, which includes the Observatoire international du religieux, the International Research Network (IRN) programme Contextualising Radicalisation headed by Nadia Marzouki, the Preventing Violent Extremism (PREVEX) project funded by the EU’s Horizon 2020 programme, and the training programme “Emouna, l’amphi des religions”.
As well as drawing on contributions from Sciences Po faculty working on issues related to religion in various disciplines, the Chair will promote intellectual exchange and knowledge sharing between national and international experts by hosting events, awarding an annual first book prize, and running a visiting scholar programme.
“The Chair favours a broad or comparative approach. While Islam is destined to occupy an important share of the Chair’s work, other religions and religion as a whole will also be amply addressed. Religion will be studied mainly through the social sciences, without excluding more textual approaches (e.g. Islamology).” Alain Dieckhoff, co-director of the Chair.
Teaching and Research activities
- Identification and labelling of existing courses at Sciences Po.
- Set up of new courses at Sciences Po dealing with religion.
- Annual award of a first book prize to a researcher working on religion.
- Organisation of a series of conferences with the participation of leading international researchers. The intention is to hold three conferences per year.
- Establishment of a “visiting scholars” programme. The visiting scholars will participate in the Chair’s research programme while teaching a course at Sciences Po.
- A fund will be made available to support researchers in organising seminars and workshops on topics within the scope of the Chair. Two events per year are envisaged.
- Possibility of funding a research group at CERI.
Conference on 22 October 2020
Webinar: La foi contre l'identité ? Le religieux dans les guerres culturelles
Interview with Alain Dieckhoff and Stéphane Lacroix, October 2020