Tommaso Vitale (Ph.D in Sociology, 2003, MA in Political Science, University of Milan) is Associate Professor of Sociology at Sciences Po (Paris, France) where he is the scientific director of the Master "Governing the Large Metropolis", researcher at Centre d'études européennes, member of the LIEPP and of the research program "Governing the Large Metropolis" and of the research program "Cities are back in town".
The topics of his researches are:
1. Tensions between endogenous and exogenous mechanisms of urban change;
2. Structural contexts of opportunities;
3. Mechanisms of racism diffusion and legitimation.
He has co-founded the International Research Network UrbaRom. His previous researches were in the fields of Comparative Political Sociology (on participation, associations, civil society, civism) and Comparative Urban Sociology, and he has published books and articles on conflicts and urban change, on spatial segregation, on social service planning, and on élite and local governance of industrial restructuring. His papers can be downloaded on Spire.
He is co-editor of of the peer review Journal PArtecipazione e COnflitto. The Open Journal of Sociopolitical Studies. He has been visiting professor at the Vincent and Elinor Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis (Bloomington, Indiana University). He coordinates the comparative ANR research MargIn (with O. Legros ; C. Bergeon).
To know more
- CV with publications (PDF, 612 Ko)
Structural contexts of integration opportunities ; Border control ; Tensions between endogenous and exogenous mechanisms of urban change ; Dissemination and legitimization mechanisms of racism ; The voluntary sector lobbying and political influence on large metropolis governments ; Roma and Sinti in European cities
Links and ressources
- Associazione 21 luglio
- Book series "Globalization, participation, and social movements"
- Cities are back in town - Programme villes et territoires de Sciences Po
- Department of Sociology, Sciences Po
- Digital Library Of The Commons Repository
- École Urbaine de Sciences Po
- In.Innovare per includere
- InSiTU Association
- ISA RC 21 - Sociology of Urban and Regional Development
- LIEPP (Laboratoire interdisciplinaire d'évaluation des politiques publiques)
- Links to comparative data sets
- Master Governing the Large Metropolis
- Revue "Partecipazione e conflitto"
- The Vincent and Elinor Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis
- Urba-Rom On-line Resources Center and Repository