Associate Professor in sociology
Dean of Urban School of Sciences Po
Tommaso Vitale, Sociologist and Dean of the Sciences Po Urban School teach both Urban Sociology and Urban Policy Analysis.
He got a MA in Political Science (1999 - University of Milan), a Ph.D. in Sociology (2003 - University of Milan), a Certificate of Advanced Study in Comparative Institutional Analysis and Design (2004 - Indiana University, Bloomington), and an HDR in Sociology (2023, Sciences Po).
He is a Researcher at Centre for European Studies and Comparative Politics, where he co-coordinates with V. Guiraudon the research program Cities, Borders and (Im)Mobility. He also coordinates the research seminar Cities Are Back in Town.
He is a member of the Editorial Boards of PArtecipazione e COnflitto – The Open Journal of Sociopolitical Studies and of Sociologica – International Journal for Sociological Debate.
His empirical research has been organized around a main theoretical framework: a neo-structural sociology, not deterministic but attentive to structural contexts of opportunities at different scales, to explore the relationship between social and spatial factors influencing forms of “community action”. Having been trained within a Weberian theoretical framework giving the city a generative role in structuring social, political, and economic interactions, his research looks at community action not as a form of solidarity but as a form of collective action not requiring a common identity.
This framework irrigates his three research programs:
1) Roma agency, integration, and upward social mobility;
2) the political sociology of associations and NGOs in urban societies;
3) the impact of urban social and spatial structure on electoral behavior.
To know more
Structural contexts of integration opportunities ; Border control ; Tensions between endogenous and exogenous mechanisms of urban change ; Dissemination and legitimization mechanisms of racism ; The voluntary sector lobbying and political influence on large metropolis governments ; Roma and Sinti in European cities
Links and ressources
- Associazione 21 luglio
- Book series "Globalization, participation, and social movements"
- Cities are back in town - Programme villes et territoires de Sciences Po
- Department of Sociology, Sciences Po
- Digital Library Of The Commons Repository
- École Urbaine de Sciences Po
- HAL (from November 2021)
- In.Innovare per includere
- InSiTU Association
- ISA RC 21 - Sociology of Urban and Regional Development
- LIEPP (Laboratoire interdisciplinaire d'évaluation des politiques publiques)
- Links to comparative data sets
- Master Governing the Large Metropolis
- Revue "Partecipazione e conflitto"