Thierry BalzacqUniversity Professor
Phone: +33158717014 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Balzacq has published over a hundred scientific works in English and French, on Security, IR Theory, and Diplomatic Studies. His articles have been published in outlets such as Review of International Studies, Security Studies, European Journal of International Security, International Studies Review, Cooperation and Conﬂict, European Journal of International Relations, Security Dialogue, Polity, International Relations, and the Journal of Common Market Studies. His most recent books include Comparative Grand Strategies: A Framework and Cases (Oxford University Press, 2019 – co-ed. with Peter Dombrowski and Simon Reich), Théories de la sécurité (Presses de Sciences Po, 2016), The Routledge Handbook of Security Studies (with M. Dunn Cavelty). He is the co-convenor (with Simon Reich and Peter Dombrowski) of The Global Initiative on Comparative Grand Strategies (GICGS).
Balzacq has held visiting appointments at various universities, including McGill, the Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, the National University of Singapore (NUS), The International Relations Institute of Cameroon (IRIC), Aberystwyth, and the University Abdou Moumouni of Niamey (Niger), and ENA. He advised different institutions and organizations on security matters, including the EU Commision, the EU Parliament, and the Australian Department of Home Affairs.
He is working on several books on the broad topic of grand strategy, including (with Ron Krebs) The Oxford Handbook of Grand Strategy (Oxford University Press, under contract); Reinventing Grand Strategy (with Simon Reich). His ongoing single-authored book explores how the nature of compromise influences the texture of world order. Thierry Balzacq edits the “Oxford Studies in Grand Strategy” book Series (with Peter Dombrowski and Simon Reich).
Balzacq holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge and completed his Postdoctoral studies at Harvard in 2004. His H Index is 30 for a total of over 5,000 citations (Google Scholar citation data).
Security, Diplomacy, Multilateralism, Epistemology, Ethics
- Une grande stratégie française ? (Chapitre d’ouvrage)
- Blame and Complicity in International Relations: Making Non-intervention Morally Bearable (Article dans une revue avec comité de lecture)
- Ideology and International Security (Chapitre d’ouvrage)
- The Site of Foreign Policy: A Field Theory Account of MFAs (Article dans une revue avec comité de lecture)
- Global Diplomacy. An Introduction to Theory and Practice (Direction d'ouvrage)
- The Evolution of International Relations in France (Contribution à un site web)
- What is Grand Strategy? Interview with Thierry Balzacq and Simon Reich (Contribution à un site web)
- Is Grand Strategy a Research Program? A Review Essay (Article dans une revue avec comité de lecture)
- Securitization Theory: Past, Present, and Future (Article dans une revue avec comité de lecture)
- Comparative Grand Strategies: A Framework and Cases (Direction d'ouvrage)