- Enseignants / Chercheurs
- Alumni & Donateurs
- Le centre
Accueil > Recrutement - Recruitment
Research Assistant Fairethmigquant Project
- Join our Team - recrutement - @penguiin_shutterstock
JOB DESCRIPTION RESEARCH ASSISTANT FAIRETHMIGQUANT PROJECT
Centre d’études européennes et de politique comparée, CEE (UMR 8239)
We are seeking to appoint a Research Assistant to work with Prof Laura Morales (the Principal Investigator, PI) in the project “Making Ethnic and Migrant Minority Survey Data FAIR (FAIRETHMIGQUANT)”, grant number ANR-19-DATA-0004-0, of the Flash call programme DONNEES funded by the French Agence Nationale de la Recherche.
FAIRETHMIGQUANT is a pilot project jointly undertaken by CEE, INED and CDSP in collaboration with GESIS and other French and European organisations, and in close cooperation with the H2020 project SSHOC and the COST Action 16111 ETHMIGSURVEYDATA.
The team led by Prof Morales at CEE will coordinate this project, as well as take care of the coordination of the collaboration with ETHMIGSURVEYDATA and SSHOC, in order to:
- Include French surveys on Ethnic and Migrant Minority (EMM) integration into a metadata registry being developed through ETHMIGSURVEYDATA,
- Conduct a French pilot for building an EMM component of the CESSDA-led European Question Bank (EQB),
- Leverage the lessons learned from the pilot to scale up the EMM component of the EQB to other surveys compiled by ETHMIGSURVEYDATA in 9 other European countries, and
- Foster strategic and durable relationships between French user communities and data service providers in France and Europe, so they can jointly contribute to France’s participation in the open science movement.
The appointed Research Assistant will thus join a large French and international team of experts from all across Europe on the integration of EMMs and on survey research and will have the chance to work on a research project that will break new ground in these fields. This is, thus, a unique opportunity to build a career in survey research focusing on this specific sub-population.
More specifically, the work will involve:
Ensuring that the French data is compiled in formats compatible with current international standards (DDI, Dublin Core, RDA recommendations, etc.);
- Ensuring that the French data is correctly processed through the EMM Survey Registry prepared by ETHMIGSURVEYDATA;
- Ensuring that the community of EMM survey data producers in France become aware of the existence of the EMM Survey Registry and use it for any new surveys created;
- Ensuring that the database is harvested by the relevant French platforms for open data in the social sciences (e.g. Isidore);
- Facilitating that data producers and owners of the original survey datasets who have not previously deposited the data on a data archive/repository deposit the data in one of the social science data archives in France (ideally, integrated in PROGEDO).
- Contributing to the work aimed at finding solutions for the automated retrieval of the questions from several hundreds of survey questionnaires that have for the most part not been processed as yet and in several languages;
- Ensuring that the EQB links to the ETHMIGSURVEYDATA EMM Survey Registry;
- Exploring the ways that will allow future data producers to add the questions of their own surveys into the EQB in an autonomous and decentralized fashion so that it is constantly updated;
- Exploring the ways that will allow for this stream of survey question metadata to be made Accessible and Interoperable, linked to OpenAire, the CESSDA Product and Service Catalogue, and any future European Open Science Cloud systems;
- Exploring the ways in which this stream of survey question metadata in the EQB can be integrated with the new platform that will be created by the H2020 project CROSS-MIGRATION.
The appointment is part-time and available from 1st September (or as soon as possible thereafter, and always before 14th September) with a contract duration of 16 months.
Type of contract: Fixed-duration contract (CDD), at 70% of full-time equivalent
Gross salary (salaire brut): €1 680 for the 70% fte.
Other contributions: contribution for transportation card within Paris (€37.60), and restaurant tickets.
How to apply
- A cover letter outlining precisely the essential and desirable qualifications and skills outlined below (listed under "Requirements") that you meet for this position, as well as any previous experience in survey research (e.g. conducting surveys, managing large-scale survey data or similar tasks); and
- A CV which includes a detailed list of the courses and training on survey research followed at undergraduate and postgraduate level,
to email@example.com by 5 pm (Paris, CET) on Friday 29th May 2020 with the subject “FAIRETHMIGQUANT researcher position application” in the email.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Interviews will be planned between 8 and 19 June 2020 (interviews through video-connection possible for those not residing in Paris).
The RA will be expected to:
- Coordinate the daily work at CEE on this project as well as the collaboration with CDSP, INED, GESIS, the COST Action ETHMIGSURVEYDATA and the SSHOC teams in order to achieve the goals of the project (under the supervision and guidance of the PI);
- Prepare and undertake all necessary tasks relating to the goals of the project, including data entry from questionnaires in several languages (English and French at least, and when proficient also another language);
- Document the technical and research processes, outcomes and options emerging from the project and support the writing and publication of papers and reports stemming from the project;
- Participate in the dissemination of the project activities and outputs within the French and European communities of data producers and users;
- Responsible for the maintenance and version control of the data compiled. This will also include inputting of data and its safe storage using the agreed protocols, as defined by Sciences Po’s research data protection policy and any other such protocols imposed by the ANR;
- Identify and understand work requirements prioritising tasks and responsibilities within an agreed timeframe agreed with the PI;
- The post holder will be required to effectively manage their time to deliver on the priorities of the project. The post holder will need to plan ahead to ensure the research is delivered in accordance with the overall research objectives and deadlines. This may include defining tasks and schedules, organising meetings, preparing intermediate reports on data and findings, and contributing to the project final report;
- Any other tasks that might be necessary for the proper undertaking of the role and the successful completion of the project.
Requirements (please, do not apply if you do not meet those outlined as Essential)
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- A postgraduate (MA/MSc) degree in any Social Science with a strong methodological focus relevant to the project, specifically relating to survey methodology. Degrees directly giving access to a PhD programme in their home university system will be regarded as equivalent to an MA/MSc/MRes for the purposes of this job application.*
- Demonstrable training in survey research methods and techniques at undergraduate or postgraduate level.*
- An expertise, backed up by research or work experience, in survey research.*
- Proficiency in English (active and passive use of the language) at intermediate level (i.e. B2 or C1 level).*
- Proficiency in French (active and passive use of the language) at intermediate level (i.e. B2 or C1 level). *
Desirable, but not essential:
- Experience or training in the management and documenting of survey data.
- Research experience in topics relating to ethnic and/or migrant integration.*
- The ability to read and write in one of the following languages: Croatian, Dutch, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian or Spanish.*
- Prior research experience in externally funded projects.*
- Experience in international collaboration in social science research or consultancy experience.
Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Proven ability of social science data input, management and analysis with Excel.*
- Proven ability to write up research findings.*
- Ability to take initiative, self-manage and contribute intellectually to the overall project.
- Expertise with relevant office packages.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Good oral and written communication skills.*
- Attention to detail.*
Desirable but not essential:
- Proven ability of social science data input, management and analysis with Stata or R.*
- Familiarity with international standards for the production, documentation and archiving of survey data (e.g. DDI, Dublin Core, RDA recommendations, etc.)
- Intermediate-level quantitative analysis skills (e.g. up to multivariate regression analysis).*
(*Criteria to be used to shortlist candidates for interview)