You will need to provide many different documents for all of your administrative procedures (for Sciences Po, accommodation, social security, residency permit, etc.).

Documents in foreign languages: all official documents must be translated by a certified translator.

Here is a non-exhaustive list of documents that you will definitely need. Make sure to make several photocopies of all important papers.

Identity documents

  • A valid passport with a long-stay student visa (unless you have a dispensation), original and photocopy.
    For citizens of the European Economic Space an ID card is sufficient.
  • Your original birth certificate and a certified (official) translation. This document is proof of your civil status.
  • The original documents you used to obtain a visa from the French consulate or embassy in your home country. You may be asked to present these at customs and they will be necessary when you apply for a residency permit (titre de séjour).
  • A dozen or so ID photos (3,5 X 4,5 cm), which you will need for many different cards (student card, public transport discounts, museums and more). But you can always get these in France.


  • Students from the European Economic Space: proof of health insurance (public or private) that can be used as proof of social cover in France. You can obtain this from the health insurance office in your country.
  • Vaccination booklet (document containing particular information on your health)
  • Photocopy of prescriptions for any medication and glasses if you use them.


  • Originals of your diplomas (high school and university, if applicable) and a certificate attesting that the high school diploma allows you to attend a university in your home country.
  • Detailled transcript of all of your grades from your last two years of school or university (these are indispensable for certain enrolments: preparatory classes, certain university courses, etc...).
  • Exchange students: certificate of enrolment from your university.
  • Ph.D. candidates: transcript of all classes taken and grades thorughout your university career (and for certain disciplines, a detailed research proposal).
  • Students on French government scholarships: a letter of presentation from the cultural service of the French embassy.


  • If you intend to drive in France, don't forget your valid driver's licence.
  • We also advise you to keep a scanned version of all these documents.