CIVICA Research and Innovation
A Unique European Research Project in Social Sciences
CIVICA – the European University of Social Sciences - strengthens its research dimension thanks to funding provided by the EU’s programme Horizon 2020.
Complementing CIVICA’s education strategy and aiming at endowing it with the instruments of an integrated, innovative and long-term joint research strategy, CIVICA Research and Innovation will deploy its first term of activities until the end of 2023.
Coordinated by Sciences Po, the project gathers the eight institutions members of CIVICA : Bocconi University (Italy), Central European University (Austria and Hungary), European University Institute (Intergovernmental), Hertie School (Germany), National University of Political Studies and Public Administration (Romania), Sciences Po (France), Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden) and The London School of Economics and Political Sciences (United Kingdom).
Four Central Issues
CIVICA Research and Innovation aims to achieve optimal transnational cooperation among its partners. The keystone of this strategy are the four central issues to be tackled by all our disciplines :
- Democracy in the XXIst Century;
- Societies in Transition and Crises of Earth;
- Europe Revisited;
- Data Driven Technologies for Social Sciences.
Multi Pronged Approach
CIVICA Research and Innovation will operate a paradigm shift in several key-sectors in a way to: design a strategic research agenda, reinforce human capital and facilitate brain circulation, implement an Open Science culture, create and remove obstacles to shared research ecosystems.
The project will use a wide array of events, infrastructures, and tools to enable each researcher within CIVICA to contribute to our collective elicitation of the joint scientific activities developed around the four central issues. We will bring projects up from the grassroots following a multipronged approach.
- Rapid setup of snowball seminars, pilot calls and hackathons will contribute to build-up a common work plan;
- Innovative mechanisms that facilitate the circulation of scholars and ideas will spur the emergence of a CIVICA scientific community. The project also features tools to ensure that outside scholars become familiar with CIVICA identity;
- We will develop research infrastructures (e.g online experimental lab), that fully exploit the potential of digital tools for research;
- We aim at producing influential knowledge that percolates beyond academic circles, thus setting joint high standards in terms of Open Science practice;.
- We devote significant resources towards the dissemination and communication of our research to targeted audiences. A Rapid Policy Response Mechanism aims in particular to enhance our collective outreach to policymakers