- Knowledge, science, expertise program
- Public policy, transformations of the state program
Daniel Benamouzig’s research interests range from public health to economic policy to institutional governance. He has studied the history of healthcare economics in France, as well as institutional changes in the regulation of healthcare. He continues to conduct research in the field of economic sociology and political sociology of healthcare, with special interest in institutional changes and the mobilization of economic knowledge.
Benamouzig directs Sciences Po’s Health program at the Interdisciplinary Laboratory for the Evaluation of Public Policy (LIEPP-LABEX) and is a scientific adviser for the Global Health section of the Master of Public Affairs at Sciences Po. He runs the PRINCEPS interdisciplinary program on health crises and security at the University Paris Sorbonne – Cité.
Deeply involved with public organizations in the field of health, Benamouzig has acted as expert for numerous works in the sector, notably for the French National Authority for Health, the National Institute for Health Statistics, and the National Conference on Health.
He is the author of numerous scientific articles and two books: Economie et sociologie [Economy and Sociology] (with F. Cusin), PUF, 2004, and La santé au miroir de l'économie : une histoire de l'économie de la santé en France [Health in the Light of the Economy: A History of Healthcare Economics in France], PUF, 2005. He has recently published “Achieving Universal Health Coverage in France: Policy Reforms and the Challenge of Inequalities” (with Nay O., Béjean S., Henri Bergeron, Castel P., and Ventelou B.), in The Lancet, May 2016.
teaching activities Daniel Benamouzig is Associate Professor at Sciences Po, where he teaches Scientific Humanities and Sociology. He has taught in several other institutions of higher education (Université Paris-IV-Sorbonne, Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Santé Publique, Ecole Nationale de Santé Vétérinaire, ESIEE, Centre d’Etude des Programmes Economiques (ENSAE)).
Since 2015: Introduction to Sociology (Sciences Po, 1st year course)
Since 2014: Scientific Humanities, Medicine, Science, and Society (Sciences Po, 1st year course)
Since 2009: Course on classical and contemporary movements in Sociology (Master of Sociology)
Since 2008: Lecturer in Public Health at the Ecole des Hautes Etudes
Since 2001: Lecturer in History of Science and Techniques at ESIEE Management, an Engineering and Management school.
Co-director of Alliance AVIESAN’s Public Health Multi-Organization Thematic Institute (ITMO SP) (since October 2016)
Member of the National Conference on Health (academic college, since 2015)
Assistant Director of Alliance AVIESAN’s Public Health Multi-Organization Thematic Institute (ITMO SP), responsible for leading research in health and life sciences (2012-2016)
Member of the Executive Board at Alliance ATHENA, responsible for leading research in the social sciences (since 2012)
Elected member of the Scientific Board at Sciences Po (since 2012)
Director of the Health program at Sciences Po’s Interdisciplinary Laboratory for the Evaluation of Public Policy (LIEPP) (with Henri Bergeron)
President of the Social Science Committee at the French National Health Authority (since 2013)
Member of the Expert Committee on Public Interest at the National Institute of Health Statistics (2017)
Member of the Health Economics and Public Health Assessment Commission at the Council for Strategic Analysis (CAS) as well as for the French National Health Authority (HAS) (since 2005)
Member of the Steering Committee for humanities, economics, and social sciences at the French National Cancer Institute
Member of the History Committee at the French Social Security Administration (since 2007)
Member of the Revue Française des Affaires Sociales Editorial Board
Member of the Scientific Council for the Institute for Research and Documentation of Health Economics
Member of the History Committee at the French Social Security Administration
Former member of the Scientific Committee for the journal Raisons Pratiques (EHESS), the journal Gouvernement et Action Publique (Sciences Po), and the journal Pratiques et Organisations des soins (French National Health Insurance Fund)
Former member of various specialist commissions and academic selection committees (University Paris Dauphine, Sciences Po, University Paris Descartes, Ecole Nationale Superieure - Cachan)
Daniel Benamouzig has led the Fondation Terra Nova’s health cluster since 2008 and wrote the report “Let Us Reinvent Our Healthcare System” in 2012. He also runs the Fondation Nicolas Hulot’s health cluster.
Habilitation (HDR), direction of Daniel Carpenter, Harvard University.
Doctorate in Sociology from the University Paris IV Sorbonne, under the direction of Professor Raymond Boudon. Highest honors.
Dissertation title: Essor et développement de l’économie de la santé, une étude de sociologie cognitive (Growth and Development of Healthcare Economics: A Cognitive Sociological Study)
Diploma from CEPE-Santé (Centre d’Etudes des Programmes Economiques, ENSAE).
Master’s degree in Philosophy from the University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne.
Postgraduate certificate in Social Science from the University Paris IV Sorbonne
Diploma from the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Paris (ESCP)
- Cortinas, Joan and Daniel Benamouzig. 2020. "Mesurer l'influence ? Une méthode de quantification des activités politiques des entreprises du secteur agroalimentaire en France." Bulletin de méthodologie sociologique 147-148:122-149.
- Atlani-Duault, Laëtitia, Daniel Benamouzig and Franck Chauvin. 2020. "France’s COVID-19 response: balancing conflicting public health traditions." The Lancet 396 (25): 219-221.
- Bouchez, Maité, Jeremy Ward , Aurélie Bocquier, Daniel Benamouzig and Verger Pierre. 2020. "Physicians’ decision processes about HPV vaccine: A qualitative study." Vaccine 39 (3): 521-528.
- Benamouzig, Daniel and Gael Sliman. 2020. "Tribune : "Dans quel état sort notre système de santé de la crise Covid19 ?"" L' Obs, July. https://www.nouvelobs.com/coronavirus-de-wuhan/20200724.OBS31500/tribune-dans-quel-etat-sort-notre-systeme-de-sante-de-la-crise-du-covid-19.html.
- Benamouzig, Daniel and Gael Sliman. 2020. "Tribune : "Ségur de la santé : n’oublions pas encore une fois la prévention !"" L' Obs, June. https://www.nouvelobs.com/sante/20200623.OBS30385/tribune-segur-de-la-sante-n-oublions-pas-une-fois-encore-la-prevention.html.
- Benamouzig, Daniel, Florence Jusot and Erwann Paul. 2017. "Pour une Complémentaire santé universelle." Le Monde, January.