Reimbursement Procedures

All students need to choose a French national student health insurance fund, either: SMEREP (center 617) or LMDE (center 601). Both agencies will process reimbursements for medical expenses.

If students want to take out complementary health insurance with one of the student agencies (SMEREP or LMDE), it must be with the same agency as their compulsory health insurance

Purchasing complementary health insurance is only possible when registering online (step 2 of the online registration procedure).

Reimbursement conditions for medical expenses have changed since the 2004-810 law of 13 August 2004 (fr.). Please visit the website of the French Sécurité Sociale (fr.) to find out more about the social security system and healthcare formalities (for example, the obligation to choose a general practitioner known as a "médecin traitant").

Health insurance procedures for reimbursement of medical expenses

Following a visit to your general practitioner (GP) or medical specialist you have to make a request for reimbursement by sending in the brown form they gave you: your feuille de soins.

Be sure to follow the coordinated care procedure and fill out the Choice of GP (“déclaration du médecin traitant”) form available on

European students

You must have a European Health Insurance Card. You need to call “3646”, ask for the international affairs department and make an appointment by phone; or send your request for reimbursement to: Service relation internationale, CPAM CS 70001, 75948 Paris Cedex 19.

International students

Send your request for reimbursement to your chosen section at the following address:

  • LMDE Assurance maladie, Centre 601, 35070 RENNES CEDEX 09
    For further information, the closest office is at 7 rue Danton 75006 Paris, metro line 4 or 10 to Odéon
  • SMEREP, Centre 617, 16 Bd du Général Leclerc, 92115 CLICHY CEDEX
    For further information, the closest office is at 54 Bd Saint Michel 75006 Paris, metro line 4 to Saint Michel or Line 10 to Cluny - la Sorbonne

In both cases, be sure to send/take the following documents:

  • proof of affiliation with your first reimbursement request
  • your bank account details with your first reimbursement request
  • your choice of GP form, completed and signed
  • a duplicate of your medical prescription, don’t forget to keep a copy
  • the feuille de soins, completed and signed