- Alumni & Donors
- The Doctoral school
- Political Science
- Admission to a PhD
- Tuition Fees
- Dual Degrees
- International Exchange Programs
- Career guidance
- Resources and Services
- Contacts and Directories
Doctorate in Economics
The PhD in Economics at Sciences Po, supported by the Department of Economics, is now one of the very best European programs, as reflected by the recent recruitment of our students by top universities (UCLA, ENS Paris, HEC Paris, Carlos III).
This programme is designed to provide world-class theoretical and practical training in economics. It rains highly qualified economists for academic careers, and for careers that require the highest quality of doctoral training: international irganisations, think tanks, research organisations, public ministries, banks, insurers, etc.
The PhD program in economics trains top economists who seek to pursue university and academic careers in France or abroad, as well as careers requiring high-level doctoral training: in international organizations, think tanks, research institutions, government agencies, banks, and insurance companies.
Students seeking to pursue an international academic career are supported throughout the job market process. Many oral and written communication skills trainings are offered and members of the department of economics help prepare students for interviews and seminars.
Integration with the Economics Department
Students are affiliated with the Department of Economics, which provides them with a workspace and the best environment for drafting their dissertation. A professor from the Department of Economics serves as a primary supervisor to help guide their research. Their dissertation committee includes two additional professors.
Through the program’s seminars, doctoral workshops and research events, doctoral students fully participate in the Department of Economics’ activities. PhD students are in constant contact with the many invited professors. A very small number of applicants are admitted, allowing for greater attention and guidance for each student: an individualisation of each student’s path for the success of all.
Structure of the 2018-2019 program
The doctoral program in economics should ideally be completed in three years.
Candidates who do not yet hold a Masters degree must apply for the Masters in Economics. Those who select this option will receive a “Masters in Economics” from Sciences Po at the end of their second year and will be able to apply to the PhD program.
Candidates who already hold a Masters degree from Sciences Po or another world-class university may directly apply to the PhD program.
The 3 doctoral years:
During the three years devoted to the dissertation, PhD students are hosted by the Department of Economics and can pursue study abroad at partner international universities such as Princeton University, the University of Chicago and the London School of Economics.
The department organizes an internal seminar at which students are invited to make presentations. They may also attend the department’s various other seminars.
- Yann Algan, Professeur des universités à Sciences Po
- Zsofia L. Barany, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Johannes Boehm, Assistant Professeur
- Julia Cagé, Assistant Professeur
- Thomas Chaney, Professeur des Universités à Sciences Po
- Nicolas Coeurdacier, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Quoc-Anh Do, Associate Professor à Sciences Po
- Ruben Durante, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Roberto Galbiati, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Alfred Galichon, Professeur à Sciences Po
- Sidartha Gordon, Associate Professor à Sciences Po
- Stéphane Guibaud, Assistant Professeur
- Serguei Guriev, Professeur
- Emeric Henry, Associate Professor à Sciences Po
- Elise Huillery, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Koen Jochmans, Assistant Professor à Sciences Po
- Guy Laroque, Professor of Economics Sciences Po
- Philippe Martin, Professeur des universités à Sciences Po
- Thierry Mayer, Professeur des universités à Sciences Po
- Joan Monras, Assistant Professeur
- Florian Oswald, Assistant Professor
- Eduardo Perez-Richet, Professor of Economics
- Xavier Ragot, Professeur des Universités à Sciences Po
- Jean-Marc Robin, Professeur des universités à Sciences Po et à l'University College in London, Directeur du Département d'économie
- Etienne Wasmer, Professeur des universités à Sciences Po
All students admitted at the PhD level will receive funding. The salary is competitive compared to international standards.
Additional funding is available for exceptional students in economics, history and macroeconomics thanks to the Marie Curie Initial Training Network MACROHIST.
Contacts and students reception
Director of Sciences Po's PhD in Economics : Emeric HENRY, Associate Professor at the Economics Department in Sciences Po
Executive Director exéc Department of Economics : Guillaume SARRAT DE TRAMEZAIGUES
Administration Supervisor: Claudine LAMAZE
E-mail : email@example.com
Tél. : 33 (0)1 45 49 72 35
Fax : +33 (0)1 42 22 40 26
Accueil des étudiants : Ecole Doctorale de Sciences Po - 199, boulevard Saint-Germain - 75007 Paris (3ème étage) - Bureau 328<b
- Three-Year PhD Programme
- Languages : French and English