- Alumni & Donors
- About us
- PhD Program
- Faculty & Research
Home > Muir Watt, Horatia
Muir Watt, Horatia
Full professor at Sciences Po
Contact Horatia Muir-Watt
Tel : 01 45 49 53 40
Horatia Muir Watt is tenured Professor at Sciences Po, where she is Co-Director of the program “Global Governance Studies » (which covers private international law, arbitration and litigation, human rights) within the Master’s Degree in Economic Law.
Horatia Muir Watt received a PhD in private international law from the University of Panthéon-Assas Paris 2 in 1985 and passed the agrégation examination in private law in 1986 (ranked second). She is a tenured Professor in private international law and in comparative law. She taught at the University of Tours, at the University of Paris XI, and at the University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne between 1996 and 2009 and was appointed to Sciences Po in 2009, when she participated actively in the creation of the law school.
She is a Member of the Institute of International Law (since 2013).
She is Editor-in-chief of the Revue critique de droit international privé (the leading French-language journal on private international law) and a member of the publication committees of numerous other legal journals, among which the Journal of Private International Law, European Review of Contract Law and Transnational Legal Theory.
She founded the PILAGG (private international law and global governance) research group, now run with the LSE. The launching article is « Private International Law beyond the Schism », (2011) 2(3) Transnational Legal Theory 347–427. The first publication of the research group’s collective work is currently in process with Oxford University Press.
Spécialités / Fields of Expertise
- International private law (in global governance)
- Comparative law (new approaches)
- Fundamental rights and freedoms
- International litigation and arbitration
Her main publication include:
- « Aspects économiques de droit international privé », recueil des Cours de l'Académie de droit international de la Haye, t307, 2005 ;
- « Droit international privé », avec Dominique Bureau, PUF, 2007.
- « The making of European Private Law: Regulatory Strategies and Governance », with Fabrizio Cafaggi, Sellier 2008, 2009, 2 volumes.
Horatia Muir Watt has also written numerous scholarly articles on comparative law, contract law and private international law.