- Alumni & Donors
- The Center
- Research Training
Home > Jan Rovny
Assistant Professor (CEE and LIEPP)
I am an assistant professor at Sciences Po, Center for European Studies (CEE) and the Interdisciplinary Research Center for the Evaluation of Public Policies (LIEPP). After studies in Canada and Belgium, I received my PhD in Political Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, United States. In the past I taught in the United States, the Czech Republic, Germany and Sweden.
My research concentrates on political competition in Europe with the aim of uncovering the ideological conflict lines in different countries. My projects address the interplay between political issue dimensionality, party strategies and voter responses. One research area examines the dimensional structure of public opinion and the associated party strategies across Europe. Another area focuses on party competition in Central and Eastern Europe, and seeks to explain the variance in party competition and voting patterns across the ex-communist block. The final research area focuses on new developments in welfare policies in Europe and how these affect individual political preferences and voting behavior.
Besides these substantive interests, I teach applied quantitative methods in social sciences. I am also one of the principal investigators of the Chapel Hill Expert Survey on party positioning -- the most comprehensive survey assessing ideological placements of political parties in Europe.
Political competition in Europe, Ideological conflict lines in Europe
Awards2010 John Patrick Hagan Award for Graduate Student Teaching, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- The ‘Brahmin left’ vs the ‘Merchant right’: A comment on Thomas Piketty’s new book
- In Prague, protesters demand the resignation of Prime Minister Andrej Babiš
- The “losers of automation”: A reservoir of votes for the radical right?
- It’s Not the Left: Ideology and Protest Participation in Old and New Democracies
- La révolte des classes intermédiaires face à la numérisation des emplois 04. Publis à insérer dans Spire ou RA x