Call for applications for postdoctoral fellowships at LIEPP
- Actualité Sciences Po
Position Definition: Post-doctoral fellowship
Location: the postdoctoral researcher will be based at LIEPP, Sciences Po in Paris, France
Type of contract: Temporary contract
Contract duration: 12 months
Expected start date: between April 1st, 2023, and June 1st, 2023
Work time: full-time
Required degree level: PhD in any relevant disciplines (Sociology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, or related fields)
Application deadline: January 31st, 2023
The Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Evaluation of Public Policies (LIEPP), a research platform at Sciences Po (Paris, France), launches a call for applications for two postdoctoral fellowships of 1-year each. This call aims at supporting young researchers’ careers and fostering excellence in policy evaluation.
Created in 2011 under the "Investissements d'avenir" programme of the French National Research Agency, this laboratory has been redeployed since 2020 in partnership with Université Paris Cité. LIEPP develops an innovative approach to evaluative research: articulating quantitative, qualitative and comparative methods; confronting disciplinary views on the evaluated policies; and promoting the cross-fertilization of methodological and theoretical inputs from different disciplines, with those from the international field of evaluation. LIEPP thus works on anchoring policy evaluation in academic research.
This call for applications aims to promote research projects that fit within one of the following collective research programmes (more details on each theme in the appendix, pdf):
- Mapping the social risks of environmental transitions (Environmental policies and Sociofiscal policies research groups, supervision by Bruno Palier)
- What drives firms’ donations and (how) should existing tax schemes be reformed? Novel evidence from French corporate tax returns (Evaluation of democracy research group, supervision by Julia Cagé)
- Educational policies and early skills inequalities: the DEPP longitudinal study on ‘petite section’ (Educational policies research group, supervision by Carlo Barone)
In addition of these specific priority programmes, applications can be submitted on projects dealing with the organizational dimension of health policies (Health policies research group, supervision by Henri Bergeron).
Applications are welcome from all disciplines.
Successful candidates are expected, for the duration of their contract:
- To conduct their research project as submitted in relation with one of the research programmes indicated above,
- To participate in the scientific activities of the laboratory (annual seminar, seminars of the corresponding research group).
The research activities are expected to lead to peer-reviewed publications (which may come out after the end of the contract). In this perspective, research teams are encouraged to submit a working paper for LIEPP’s publication collection, as well as a policy brief to be submitted after the peer-reviewed publication has been accepted.
We expect the postdoctoral fellows to work 80% on the LIEPP-proposed project topic and 20% on their own research priorities.
Doctoral degree should have been completed at the date of the Call deadline. Applicants who have successfully defended their doctoral thesis but who have not yet formally been awarded the doctoral degree will also be considered eligible to apply. Applications for postdoctoral fellowship can be made up to 3 years after the doctoral thesis.
Sciences Po’s working languages are English and French. Mastering French is helpful, but not required for the positions. The publications expected to derive from the projects will be in English.
Selected candidates will be recruited on a one-year contract. The contracts will start as soon as possible after the selection, depending on the previous obligations and commitments of the candidates. Candidates must take up their positions between April 1st, 2023, and June 1st, 2023.
The remuneration is 3,400 € gross (salaire brut) per month. Employment in France guarantees full access to healthcare, other social security benefits and social acquis (such as luncheon vouchers, contribution to transport costs).
Successful candidates will benefit from LIEPP’s working environment. Each candidate will receive a personal research fund of 2,000 euros for the duration of his/her contract.
Sciences Po – Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Evaluation of Public Policies (LIEPP), Paris, France. Our offices are located in the center of Paris. A workspace will be available for the postdoctoral fellow, as well as access to the Sciences Po Library.
Candidates can contact the supervisors indicated for each research programme listed above, ahead of their application, to discuss their project.
The deadline for application is Tuesday, January 31st, 2023.
The results of the selection will be made available at the end of February.
The selection of applications will be made by the laboratory council (composed of the research groups directors and the director of LIEPP), on the basis of the scientific quality of the project and of the candidate’s profile, and the project’s fit with one of LIEPP’s priority programmes mentioned above. Remote interviews may be organized in order to prepare the selection.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org [subject: Postdoctoral Fellowship]. They include:
● A curriculum vitae;
● A cover letter (notably stressing how the candidate’s prior research experiences prepare them well for this project);
● A research proposal including project title, abstract (300 words maximum), project description specifying the theoretical framework of the project, the research question(s), the methods, the expected results, as well as planned publications and dissemination strategy (2500 words maximum)
● A single-authored piece of writing in English, whether a chapter of the PhD thesis, a conference paper or an article submitted to a journal.