- Enseignants / Chercheurs
- Alumni & Donateurs
- Le labo
- Les chercheurs
- La recherche
Workshop LIEPP/OSC 28 juin 2019, 9h30 - 19h00
- Actualité Sciences Po
Le LIEPP et l'OSC ont le plaisir de vous inviter au workshop:
The Middle Classes, Housing and Schooling in the City
Comparative Perspectives from Europe, South America and Asia
Vendredi 28 juin 2019
9h30 - 19h00
Salle du LIEPP
254 boulevard Saint Germain, 75007 Paris
[langue : anglais]
The workshop explores the interactions between middle-class housing and schooling practices and experiences in major cities across Europe and South America, calling into question their spatial dimension.
It will bring together scholars using theoretical and empirical tools from urban research, sociology of education and sociology of social stratification to reflect on the way space, housing and education interact in the definition of the middle classes and inform their role in the evolution of cities:
How are housing and schooling strategies articulated and foster uneven trajectories within the middle classes?
What do these practices tell us about their relationships to other social groups and public institutions?
What variations can we detect between cities?
How do they relate to differences in terms of housing markets, school systems and middle-class characteristics?
9h30 -10h00 : Welcome
10h00 - 10h15 : Introduction by Marco Oberti et Quentin Ramond
10h15 - 12h30 :
- The Middle Classes in the city : Theoretical Debates and Empirical Issues. Chair: Philippe Coulangeon
- Social Reproduction and the Remaking of the Gentrified Inner City by Tim Butler and Chris Hamnett
- Middle Classes Nomenclatures and Measurement : Comparative Perspectives between Europe and Latin America by Emmanuelle Barozet
- The Middle Classes in the Metropolises. A North-South Comparison by Adalberto Cardoso and Edmond Préteceille
12h30 - 14h00 : Lunch break
14h00 - 15h40 :
- The Middle Classes, Housing and Schooling in the City (1). Chair : Pauline Clech
- Serching for excellence : the middle classes, education and housing in Beijing by Chris Hamnett and Chris Hamnett & Xiaoling Zhang
- Socio-spatial Trajectories of Upper Middle Class Reproduction in the Neoliberal City by Maria Luisa Méndez and Modesto Gayo
15h40 - 16h00 : Coffee and tea break
16h00 - 18h15 :
- The Middle Classes, Housing and Schooling in the City (2). Chair : Edmond Préteceille
- The Relocation of Middle-Class Groups in Athens (1991 - 2011) and its Relation to the Spatially Uneven Distribution of School Quality by Thomas Maloutas
- Social Rent : Causing or Reducing School Segregation ? by Willem Boterman and Sako Musterd
- Middle Classes Residential Status and School Patterns in the Paris Metropolis by Marco Oberti and Quentin Ramond
18h15 - 18h45 : Conclusion by Bruno Cousin and Tommaso Vitale