Sovereign Debt: a Political History Perspective
- Sovereign Debt: A Political History Perspective
The Sciences Po Chair in Sovereign Debt presents:
Sovereign Debt: A Political History Perspective
Thursday 22 April 2021, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
This event is open to all: please register online
The history of public finance and sovereign debt has a lot to teach us. Contemporary issues related to fiscal policy, deficit financing, debt crises and their resolutions have historical precedents, which offer valuable lessons in the context of today's policy challenges. The event will focus on such historical instances as recorded in the recently released book A World of Public Debt, co-edited by Nicolas Barreyre and Nicolas Delalande. The panel discussion will center on the book's main argument, namely, that issues related to sovereign debt, whether domestic or international, are always inherently political.
- Pamfili Antipa, Associated Professor, Sciences Po; Research Economist, Banque de France. Read more here
- Nicolas Barreyre, Senior Lecturer, EHESS. Read more here
- Nicolas Delalande, Associate Professor, Sciences Po Centre d'Histoire. Read more here
- Eric Monnet, Professor, PSE & Director of Studies, EHESS. Read more here
- Stéphane Guibaud, Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at Sciences Po and holder of the Sciences Po Chair in Sovereign Debt. Read more here
This event is organized by the Sciences Po Chair in Sovereign Debt. Attached to PSIA, the Chair aims to provide leading expertise on government finance, constituting a unique academic reference point on public debt issues.
Photo credit (c)Shutterstock/WilliamPotter