Funded PhD Position
- Actualité Sciences Po
Sciences Po Paris is looking for a PhD Candidate to join the European project GUARDINT, a 3-year long inquiry on the transnational oversight of intelligence agencies. GUARDINT is a collaboration between research centers in France (CERI- Sciences Po), the United Kingdom (King’s College), and Germany (WZB) in partnership with the Berlin-based think tank Stiftung Neue Verantwortung. The PhD will join the Doctoral School at Sciences Po in either the Political science or the Sociology Doctoral Programme.
He or she will be associated with the research team of CERI under the supervision of Professor Didier Bigo and will address the following topic: the development of transnational oversight of intelligence services in cases where professionals of intelligence services may have engaged or have been complicit in gross violations of human rights standards.
- Background in human rights and international law and appetite for trans-disciplinarity (political theory of democratic practices, sociology of organizations such as oversight bodies, International Political Sociology, etc.)
- Fluent in English, French and German
- Great organizational skills and autonomy
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Document and analyze cases of oversight failures in the transnational intelligence field (from the CIA rendition program to the Snowden disclosures)
- Contribute to fieldwork on intelligence oversight practices
- Organize workshops, seminars and conferences
- Participate in literature review, translate abstracts
- Manage and populate databases, develop in quali-quantitative research methods (discourse analysis, network analysis, etc.)
- Coordinate the work with other teams, liaise with administrative support
- The PHD is funded. The selected PhD candidate will sign a “contrat doctoral” granting 1769 euros brut per month for a period of three years from 1st of March 2019 to 28 February 2022.
- The PhD candidate will conduct his or her work based at the CERI – Sciences Po in Paris, France
- All applications for the funded PhD position in the framework of the European project GUARDINT have to be made exclusively online on the Admission website of Sciences Po (in English - In French)
- Depending on the profile of each applicant, the applications are made either in the Political Science or Sociology Doctoral Programme
- Please include the reference European Project GUARDINT at the beginning of the application letter.
- Applications requirements are available on the Doctoral school website
- Attention: You must include the following documents in your online application:
- A thesis project in PDF or Word format (2, 000 to 5,000 words maximum)
- A synopsis of your thesis project (two pages) in PDF or Word format
- Two academic recommendations
- Proof of identity
- A copy of the last completed degree (for the PhD in political science, highest honours on the Masters thesis is required)
- A signed letter from professor Didier Bigo, indicating that he accepts to supervise your thesis and a letter from the laboratory director indicating that he/she accepts to host you in the laboratory.
SPECIAL DEADLINE for GUARDINT APPLICATIONS – The applications are open till the 13th of February 2019 midnight. Candidates might be contacted for Skype interview in February 2019.
For all questions related to online application, please contact email@example.com
For all questions regarding the GUARDINT project and the academic profile please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the CERI
For further information about the Doctoral school