Dual degree with Sorbonne Université (faculté des Lettres): Social Sciences & Literary Humanities
A top multidisciplinary programme grounded in the literary humanities
Sorbonne Université (faculté des lettres) and Sciences Po jointly offer three dual undergraduate degrees:
- Social Sciences and French Literature or Classics
- Social Sciences and Philosophy
- Social Sciences and History
These three dual degrees invite students to explore political, economic, social and cultural processes through a dialogue between the social sciences studied at Sciences Po (law, economics, contemporary history, political humanities, political science and sociology) and the literary humanities at Sorbonne Université (ancient, medieval, modern and contemporary history; classics or modern literature; general and theme-based philosophy).
The objective is for students to acquire the conceptual and methodological tools they need to understand the world across time and space. They are given the opportunity to build their own personal, sensitive, creative and critical thinking through reading and precisely contextualising works, and an experience of artistic practice in workshops.
These programmes invite students to develop skills essential to performing well in academic, civic, international and professional environments, including:
- Understanding the key concepts of the social sciences and humanities, based on the study of major written and visual works (literature, history, philosophy, political science, sociology, law, economics);
- Critically interpreting facts by situating them in their historical, cultural, social, economic and political context;
- Developing intellectual agility by being confronted with different ways of thinking and acting, by establishing links and by drawing on relevant knowledge;
- Building independent, precise and structured reasoning that integrates the specific methodology appropriate to the different types of exercise.
Students have a demanding, specially arranged schedule so they can attend their weekly classes at both institutions.
They spend their third year abroad at one of the partner universities of either Sciences Po or the Sorbonne, in more advanced study of the disciplines of their chosen programme. Students are required to earn sufficient relevant credits for both parts of the curriculum during their international mobility.
Depending on their career plan, graduates of the programmes choose to pursue their Master's studies at Sciences Po or Sorbonne Université, or to start another programme in France or abroad.
At Sciences Po :
- First year, semester 1 (fr.)
- First year, semester 2 (fr.)
- Second year, semester 3 (fr.)
- Second year, semester 4 (fr.)
At Paris Sorbonne (Paris IV) :
- Dual degree in social sciences and classics (fr.)
- Dual degree in social sciences and French language and literature (fr.)
- Dual degree in social sciences and history (fr.)
- Dual degree in social sciences and philosophy (fr.)
For more information, please contact Claudia Castiglioni.