- Actualité Sciences Po
Research Assistant Repchance project
Centre d’études européennes et de politique comparée (UMR 8239)
We are seeking to appoint a postgraduate Research Assistant specialised in Spain (and a native or near-native speaker of Spanish) to work with Prof Laura Morales (the PI) in the project “REPCHANCE – Spain and the United Kingdom”
REPCHANCE – Spain and the United Kingdom is funded by the Robert Bosch Foundation and will focus on the processes that place barriers to the inclusion of migrants and their descendants in social and political positions of leadership. This project forms part of a cross-national collaboration including researchers in Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland. The project led from Sciences Po will study these topics for Spain and the United Kingdom, drawing also on some elements of comparison for France and Italy stemming from a previous project led by Prof Morales (INCLUSIVEPARL).
Type of contract: Fixed-duration contract (CDD d’usage or Subcontracting agreement) for 11 months.
Gross salary: Salary of between €1,000 and €1,250 per month (depending on qualifications and experience) for a 50% part-time position (bruts mensuels).
Other contributions: partial contribution for transportation card within Paris (Passe Navigo) if residing in the Île-de-France region, and restaurant tickets for full-time days worked if CDD.
Part-time work arrangements: As this is a 50% part-time contract (18 hours 15 minutes per week), the exact working days and hours will be agreed at the time of appointment.
The appointment is for a start date of 1st October 2022) and the contract duration is for 11 months (currently, no extension of this contract is envisaged).
Please send (1) a cover letter outlining your experience and qualifications for the role, and how you feel you meet the requirements for the position, (2) a CV and (3) a sample of single-authored written piece of work in English that includes, ideally, both qualitative or quantitative empirical analysis (e.g. coursework paper or BA/MA thesis) to email@example.com on Friday 22th July by 12 pm.(noon)
Interviews are planned for the weeks of 22 and 29th August.
We are seeking to appoint a postgraduate research assistant that will undertake the following range of tasks:
Undertaking the collection of biographical data for Congreso de los Diputados Members of Parliament in Spain;
- Contributing to the drafting of two reports (one intermediate and one final report) on the Spanish case, in English;
- Contributing to the preparation of qualitative fieldwork, as well as interview transcription and analysis for the Spanish case;
- Prepare and undertake data analysis and tests using quantitative and qualitative techniques and approaches agreed with the Principal Investigator and the rest of the team;
- Attending virtually (e.g. through Zoom/Teams) the meetings of the international consortium during the 11 months contract duration;
- Contributing to the preparation of dissemination activities of the project, where applicable;
- Identifying and understanding work requirements prioritising tasks and responsibilities within an agreed timeframe agreed with the PI;
- The post holder will be required to effectively manage their time to deliver on the priorities of the project and to plan ahead to ensure the research is delivered in accordance with the overall research objectives and deadlines.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An MA degree in Politics or Sociology with a substantive or methodological focus relevant to the project;*
- Demonstrable training and experience using quantitative and qualitative research methods and techniques at least at MA level;*
- An expertise, backed up by some research experience at MA level, in Spanish politics relating to one or several of the following fields: political representation, legislatures, political institutions or political parties;*
- Some minimal research experience in subjects or projects relevant to the research project;*
- Some experience in primary qualitative and quantitative data collection in the context of MA-level studies;
- Proficiency in English (oral and for academic writing) and Spanish (native or near-native);*
- Proven ability of social science data input, management and analysis with Excel;*
- Proven ability to write up research findings (e.g. at MA-thesis level);*
- Ability to take initiative and self-manage working time;
- Expertise with relevant office packages;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Good oral and written communication skills;*
- Attention to detail.*
Desirable, but not essential:
- Prior research experience in externally funded projects;*
- Experience in writing reports for funders;
- Experience in undertaking qualitative interviews in the context of short-term projects;*
- Evidence of research activity coherent with the project focus (such as involvement in previous projects and/or publications related to the subject matter).
(*Criteria to be used to shortlist candidates for interview)