- Alumni & Donors
- The Center
- Research Training
Home > Pietro Castelli Gattinara
Pietro Castelli Gattinara
Postdoctoral fellow at C-REX, University of Oslo
University of Oslo, Centre for Research on Extremism
Pietro Castelli Gattinara is Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Research on Extremism (C-REX), University of Oslo. His research interests include party competition and political participation in a comparative perspective, with a special focus on the study of migration, public debates and the far right.
He holds a Master of Research and a PhD in Political and Social Sciences (2014) from the European University Institute, where he discussed a thesis on local politics and party competition on migration. Since 2018, he organizes the Summer School on Concepts and Methods to study far-right politics of the ECPR Standing Group on Extremism & Democracy. He is country expert for the European Journal of Political Research and for the Right-wing terrorism in Western Europe project.
He is currently working in two main projects. FARPE (funded by the University of Oslo in partnership with Sciences Po, CEE and the Scuola Normale Superiore in Florence) studies far-right social movements in the aftermaths of the 2008 Great Recession. Since 2020, he collaborates with ANTI-MIG (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, in cooperation with the Peace Research Institute Oslo PRIO) examining transnational diffusion (both online and offline) of anti-immigration movements in Europe. From 2021, he will join the CEE as Marie Sklodowska-Curie Fellow.
He is proficient in both quantitative and qualitative methods, and publishes in English, French and Italian. His work appeared in a number of international peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes. He is the author of the monograph The politics of migration in Italy (Routledge, 2016), and co-author of Discursive Critical Junctures (OUP, in press) and CasaPound Italia: Contemporary Extreme Right Politics (Routledge, 2020).
- Political participation
- Far-right politics
- Party competition
- Della Porta, D., Castelli Gattinara, P., Eleftheriadis, K. and Felicetti, A. (2020). Discursive Critical Junctures: The Debate on the Charlie Hebdo Attack, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. (2016). The Politics of Migration in Italy: perspectives on local and party competition. London and New York: Routledge.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Pirro, A. (2019). The Far Right as Social Movement, Special issue in European Societies, issue 2, 2019.
- Simonneau, D. and Castelli Gattinara, P. (2019) « Prendre sa part aux logiques sécuritaires : les mobilisations anti-migrants en France, en Italie et aux États-Unis », Critique Internationale.
- Castelli Gattinara, P. and Froio, C. (2018). “Quand Les Identitaires font la une : Stratégies de mobilisation et visibilité médiatique du Bloc Identitaire”, Revue Française de Science Politique, n°68(1).
- Castelli Gattinara, P. (2018). “Dimensional Issue Competition on Migration: A Comparative Analysis of Public Debates in Western Europe”, Acta Politica, Volume 54, Issue 2, pp 315–335.
To know more