- Alumni & Donors
- About PSIA
- PSIA Master Programs
- Master in International Security
- Master in International Public Management
- Master in International Economic Policy
- Master in International Development
- Master in Human Rights and Humanitarian Action
- Master in Environmental Policy
- Master in International Energy
- Master in Journalism and International Affairs
- One-year Tracks
- PSIA Concentration Programs
- PSIA Fundamental Courses
- International and National Dual Degrees
- PSIA Master Programs
- Dual Degrees & Academic Partnerships
- Partnerships with major institutions
- Partnerships with foundations
- Partnerships with media
Home > carlos.bellorin
|PSIA Programs:||Master in International Energy, Concentration in International Energy|
Carlos is a Principal Petroleum Analyst at IHS within PEPS (Petroleum Economics and Policy Solutions) based in London. He specialises in upstream oil and gas legal, contractual and fiscal regimes in several jurisdictions, competitive intelligence and in designing risk mitigation strategies. He has been external legal adviser for oil and gas companies and in-house legal counsel at two multi-billion dollar Orinoco’s Oil Belt Projects in Venezuela. Recently, Carlos has been particularly focused on advising oil companies on the upstream opportunities offered after Mexico's Energy Reform and on Brazil's offshore areas.
Since 2014, Carlos has been an Adjunct Lecturer on "International and Comparative Petroleum Law and Contracts" at the LLM in Energy and Natural Resources offered by Queen Mary University, London. He has also been invited to several universities to deliver guest lectures and seminars on oil and gas law and policy, including the University of Dundee (CEPMLP), The Graduate Institute Geneva, University of Birmingham, University of Reading and the University of Buckingham, among others. He is a member of the Advisory Board to the University of Eastern Finland 'Energy Law Review' Journal.
He is frequently quoted and interviewed on oil and gas matters by several news services, specialised publications and think-tanks including the BBC World Service, France24, Reuters, Bloomberg, Interfax, Financial Times, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal (Market Watch), Platts Oilgram News, Petroleum Economist, The National (Abu Dhabi), Energy Intelligence and the Inter-American Dialogue.
He holds a law degree from the Universidad Catolica "Andres Bello" and a LLM in Petroleum Law and Policy from the University of Dundee (CEPMLP).
- "El Furrial - The Spectacular Decline of a Giant Oil Field. A Case Study in Botched Strategy". Caracas Chronicles (2016) (http://www.caracaschronicles.com/2016/07/28/el-furrial/)
- "Eight Reforms to Revive Venezuela’s Hydrocarbon Industry". Caracas Chronicles (2016) (https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2016/10/31/eight-reforms-revive-venezuelas-hydrocarbon-industry/)
- "Joint Operating Agreements. Challenges and Concerns From Civil Law Jurisdictions - Venezuela Chapter". Kluwer Law and Business (2015).
- “Colombia's Regulatory and Fiscal Hydrocarbons Regime. Explaining Colombia's Success and the Challenges Ahead”. Journal of World Energy Law and Business. Oxford University Press-AIPN (2012).
- “Brief Comments on the Venezuelan Petroleum Fiscal and Contractual Regime Flexibility Provisions. -10 years of the 2001 Hydrocarbons Organic Law approval: A View on the Current State of Affairs. International Association for Energy Economics (2011).
- “Perspective and Scale. Comments on the Contractor Remuneration in Iraq's PFTSC Service Contracts (1st bid round) (with Juliana Abella). Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law (2010).
- “The Petroleum Royalty Reduction in Venezuela. Short Comments on Recent Projects”. The Energy Law Advisor. Institute for Energy Law of the Center for American and International Law (2010).
- "Venezuela's Hydrocarbons Law – Three Books, Three Reviews" - Journal of World Energy Law and Business (Oxford University Press and AIPN) - 2017.
- "The Natural Resources Trap: Private Investment without Public Commitment" - OGEL (Oil, Gas & Energy Law Intelligence) – 2011.
- "Queen of the Oil Club. The Intrepid Wanda Jablonsky and the Power of Information" - Journal of World Energy Law and Business (Oxford University Press and AIPN) - 2007.
- Member for
- 4 years 13 weeks