- Enseignants / Chercheurs
- Alumni & Donateurs
- L'École doctorale
- Le doctorat
- Admission en thèse
- Droits de scolarité
- Doubles doctorats
- Programmes d'échanges internationaux
- Devenir professionnel
- Ressources & services
- Contacts & annuaires
Accueil › Call for Applications ›
Doctoral Fellowship at the Max Planck-Sciences Po Center on Coping with Instability in Market Societies
Application deadline: 15 March 2016
- Call for Applications - Doctoral Fellowship at the Max Planck-Sciences Po
The Max Planck Sciences Po Center on Coping with Instability in Market Societies invites applications for doctoral fellowships. The recipients of the PhD fellowship will work under the supervision of Prof. Jenny Andersson or Prof. Olivier Godechot and will have to apply for formal enrollment in the doctoral program in sociology or political science of Sciences Po in Paris.
The thesis project should be linked to MaxPo’s research program focused on coping with instability in market societies and the interests of the two research group leaders. This leaves leeway for a substantial range of topics, however. The research themes should be located in economic sociology, political economy, economic or political history and can include:
- Political, social and economic futures, forms of calculation, narration and futurity in the making of the economy, concepts of sustainability and (in) stability, austerity politics.
- Sociology of financial markets, labor markets and inequality, the political and social consequences of economic crises.
The candidate will hold a master’s degree (or equivalent) and have received training in the following disciplines: sociology or political science, with additional training in related field such as economics, history, management, or philosophy. S/he should have experience with qualitative and quantitative methods. There is no nationality requirement. However, a firm command of English and working knowledge of French or German are required.
Fellowship amount and duration: € 2,188 / month (gross salary, about 1,600€ net); three-year contract starting on October 2016; 12-week period of administrative service to MaxPo, preferably in the first year of the fellowship (to be negotiated with the PhD advisor); a one-semester research stay at the MPIfG in Cologne, preferably during the third year.
Required documents (to be compiled into one PDF):
- a CV
- a transcript of records
- a cover letter briefly describing your intellectual trajectory so far and discussing the themes that interest you (2 pages maximum)
- a thesis project (5,000 words maximum)
- an abstract summarizing the thesis project
- a writing sample (such as an article, a thesis, or a term paper)
- if possible, we strongly encourage you to obtain one or more letters of recommendation (a letter from your MA advisor would be especially useful)
Please email the complete file to email@example.com by 15 March 2016 (write “MaxPo PhD positions 2016” in the subject line). Incomplete files will not be considered. Shortlisted candidates can be invited for an online interview. Final decisions will be made by mid-April 2016.
Please also note that successful candidates will need to apply for admission through the online procedure of the Ecole doctorale of Sciences Po before 25 April 2016. Administrative registration will occur in June 2016 by the Ecole doctorale of Sciences Po. All the details will be forwarded to the candidates selected for a MaxPo fellowship in April.