- Alumni & Donors
- About us
- PhD Program
- Faculty & Research
Home > Mbengue, Makane Moïse
Mbengue, Makane Moïse
Makane Moïse Mbengue is an Affiliated Professor at Sciences Po (School of Law) where he teaches General International Law and the Law of the World Trade Organization (WTO). He is also a Professor of International Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Geneva where he teaches International Environmental Law, International Investment Law, Climate Change and International Law, International Water Law and International Dispute Settlement.
Prof. Mbengue holds a Ph.D. in Public International Law from the University of Geneva. He was the Lead Expert for the negotiations and drafting of the Pan-African Investment Code (PAIC) in the context of the African Union and is involved in investment negotiations in different African countries and economic organisations. He has acted and acts as expert for the African Union, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Bank, the International Labour Organization (ILO), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the International Institute for Sustainable Development ( IISD ) among others. He also acts as a Professor for courses in International Law organized by the United Nations Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) and by the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR).
Prof. Mbengue acts as counsel and expert in disputes before international courts and tribunals and as advisor for governments in several fields of international law. He is the author of several publications in the field of international law.
Spécialités / Fields of Expertise
- International public law
- WTO law
- Security interrests in personal property
- International sales and international commercial arbitration
Prof. Mbengue has authored and co-authored various books and articles and has presented communications in different prestigious conferences and colloquiums.
- Africa Within the International Organization (Liber Amicorum Judge Raymond Ranjeva), Pedone, Paris, forthcoming 2012.
- Essai sur une théorie du risque en droit international public. L'anticipation du risque environmental et sanitaire, Pedone, Paris, 2009.
- Protection internationale de l'environnement (in collaboration with L. Boisson de Chazournes, R. Desgagne and C. Romano), Pedone, Paris, 2005.
- "International Courts as Fact-Finders: Scientific Fact-finding in International Adjudication", Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review, vol. 34.1, forthcoming 2012.
- "National Legislations and Unilateral Acts", in T. Gazzini and E. de Brabandère, The Sources of Rights and Obligations in Transnational Investment Law, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, forthcoming 2012.
- "La Cour Suprême américaine et les Organismes génétiquement modifiés (OGM)", Actualités du droit des biotechnologies et des organismes génétiquement modifiés, Cahiers du droit de la santé du Sud-Est, 2011.
- "A 'Footnote as a Principle'. Mutual Supportiveness and Its Relevance in an Era of Fragmentation" (with L. Boisson de Chazournes), Liber Amicorum Rüdiger Wolfrum, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2011.
- "Decolonization: French Territories", in Rüdiger Wolfrum (ed.), The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford University Press, 2011, online edition.
- "The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: A Singular Model of Expertise in the International Legal Order", in Y. Kerbrat, S. Maljean-Dubois (eds.), International Law and Environmental Challenges, Pedone/Hart, Paris/Oxford, 2011.
- "Non-State Actors from the Perspective of International Environmental Law", in J. D'Aspremont (ed.), Participants in the International Legal System: Theoretical Perspectives, Routledge, New York, 2011.
- "The African Economic Community", in F. Ouguergouz and A. Yusuf (eds.), The African Union, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2011.
- "Health and International Cooperation", in R. Wolfrum (ed.), The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford University Press, 2011, online edition.
- "Article 18 of the 1969 and 1986 Vienna Conventions on the Law of Treaties" (with L. Boisson de Chazournes and A.-M. La Rosa), in P. Klein and O. Corten (eds.), Commentary article by article of the 1969 and 1986 Vienna Conventions on the Law of Treaties, Volume I, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- "The Notion of Preamble", in Rüdiger Wolfrum (ed.), The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford University Press, 2009, online edition.