- Alumni & Donors
- Undergraduate admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- One-year Master's
- Ph.D Programmes
- My application
- Useful links
- Contact Us
Home > FAQ - Master
FAQ - Master
FAQ - Master
Master (58 questions)
International admissions (3 questions)
- Does the international procedure for admission at Masters level include an oral interview or a written examination?
- I studied at Sciences Po as part of an undergraduate / Master's exchange programme and I would like to stay on or come back later to complete a Sciences Po Master's. How can I do this?
- Having taken part in a university exchange programme, I have degrees from both a French business school and a foreign university. Can I apply to Sciences Po's graduate programmes through the international admissions procedure?
No. Your home university being in France and the fact that you obtained your foreign degree through a university exchange programme does not qualify you to apply through the international Admissions procedure. You must apply through the admissions procedure "par examen".
Language requirements (13 questions)
- May I be admitted before I provide my language test scores?
Your online application will be processed without your language test results. It is therefore possible to be admitted or rejected before having provided them. If you are offered admission but you have not yet provided the language test(s) the offer will only be valid under the condition that you provide your results. Accordingly, you will be notified of this conditional offer. The official letter of admission will not be issued until you have satisfied this requirement.
You must provide your language test results no later than the deadline of the programme you are applying to. If, however, you are applying to a scholarship you must respect the deadline of the scholarship and provide all of the required documents, including your language test results. Your application to the scholarship will not be taken into account in the case of any missing documents.
Applicants who have received a conditional offer of admission must provide their language test results before the given deadline. Otherwise enrollment will be deferred, under the same conditions, to the following academic school year.
Two to three months may be needed to obtain your language test results. You must therefore take the necessary precautions in order to provide your results whilst respecting the deadline.
- Where can I take the Cambridge Certificate?
- Can I apply for a programme in Sciences Po without having my language tests results?
You may submit your application without your language test results and send them afterwards, as long as we receive them by the deadline of the programme you are applying to.
Warning! We will not process any scholarship or dual degree applications if we have not received language test results by the deadline for the scholarship or dual degree programme requested.
- Which language test should I take when applying to Sciences Po undergraduate programmes?
- When is the deadline for sending in my language test results?
Admission into a Master's programme is conditional to us receiving the candidate's language test results which must be received no later than the given deadline of the programme. You need to register for the language test at least two months before in order to ensure we receive them on time.
Warning! No scholarship application or dual degree application will be taken into account if we do not receive the language test results before the deadline for the scholarship requested or for the dual degree programme chosen.
- Where can I take the IELTS exam?
- Where can I take the TOEFL exam?
- I haven't achieved the required results in the compulsory section of the TCF. Can I re-sit just the compulsory section?
- Where can I take the TCF exam?
In order to find out about TCF exam locations please check the CIEP website.
Contact the exam center and indicate you are a candidate to Sciences Po. Send an email as well to email@example.com with your name and the date and location of the exam you are taking.
Register at least two months ahead in order to take the language exam within the required timeframe.
Applicants in Continental China have to contact Campus France Chine for any information on application to the optional exams of the TCF.
- Which French language test is preferable?
- What does «conditional admission» mean?
"Conditional admission" means that you are offered admission but you must provide the proof that you have obtained your baccalauréat or your secondary school leaving certificate in September. If you cannot provide this document at the time of registration, you will lose your admission offer.
Please note that you need to have been awarded your degree in the first examinations, and not in remedial examinations.
- How long are the test results valid for?
- French is my mother tongue. Do I need to take a French language test?
Referees’ information (7 questions)
- Does the referee need to fill the form or may s/he send a letter by email?
The referees need to fill the online form. However, in the event that your referee cannot complete the online referee form, and subject to this stipulation only, she/he must contact us and we will send him/her the form in Word format. He/she must then complete it and send it back to us directly by email (confidentially and from a professional email address).
- Who should I ask to write me a reference?
Your referee may be a teacher, academic advisor, or hierarchical superior with whom you have worked closely with and who will be able to assess your achievements and potential. Never a personal acquaintance. Choose with the utmost care as references play a vital role in the evaluation process.
- How do my referees receive the form to fill out?
Once you have filled in (and saved) your referees' contact information on the online application, an e-mail will be sent automatically by the system inviting them to complete an online recommendation form. You should check that they have received this e-mail. If they haven't, please contact us by email.
- When do my referees receive an invitation to submit a reference for me?
Once you have filled in (and saved) your referees' contact information on the online application, an e-mail will be sent automatically by the system inviting them to complete an online recommandation form. You should check that they have received this e-mail.
- May I submit my application form even if some of my referees have not sent their forms yet?
Yes, however, they must be completed by the programme's or scholarship's deadline. It is up to you to check and make sure that this is the case.
- May I read the references submitted by my referees?
No, applicants are not allowed to read references. They are strictly confidential and will only be read by those people responsible for assessing your application.
- In what language do the references need to be written?
Dual Degree Programmes (5 questions)
- In what language should I write my resume?
- I have been admitted to a dual degree programme. Is it possible to defer my enrolment?
- In what language do I need to write my personal statement?
- Can I apply for two dual degree programmes?
No. You cannot apply for two dual degree programmes. You can however apply for a dual degree programme and a graduate programme. In which case your first choice must be dual degree with the graduate programme as your second. If deadlines for these two programmes differ, you must respect the first to come to term.
Sciences Po students need to submit an application only if they are applying for a dual degree programme. Please do not indicate any choice of Master's as a second option. This decision will be made with the "Direction de la scolarité".
- If I have applied for a dual degree, can I apply for the Eiffel scholarship?
Practical information (12 questions)
- I need proof of my admission in order to obtain my visa, what should I do?
You may download an enrollement certificate through the student services centre in your online student space. This document will assist you in obtaining a visa.
Depending on the required documents, you may also present the Letter of Admission you received from Sciences Po.
- Do I have to complete my application all at once?
The online application is composed of several fields. Entries for each field may be saved by clicking on the « save changes » link at the bottom of the page. This allows you to save your information as you are completing your application. It will be saved until the next connection. You can thus complete your application in several steps.
- How should I proceed if the documents I need to attach are more than 2Mo?
- Should I write my resume in English or French?
Master programmes: you must attach your resume in French or English, according to the language of the programme you are applying for.
One year programmes: you must attach your resume in English (except for SPEAP, resume to be attached in French).
Dual degree programmes: you must send one resume in English, but if you wish you can attach a second resume in the language of the programme you are applying for.
- I have been admitted, what should I do now to finalize my registration?
- How will I know the outcome of my application?
- I opened an application form in the previous years, may I use it to apply this year?
- Do my academic transcripts need to be translated?
- Must the required information material be attached to my online application or should I mail it to Sciences Po?
- Can I apply online if I have not obtained my diploma yet?
- Do I have to include the original of my degree certificate in my application?
- How long does it take you to acknowledge that you have correctly received my supplementary information materials?
When you send us missing documents at our request, the status update is not instantaneous: it might take between 7 and 15 days to update.
Please be patient and avoid sending several copies of the same document. It will only slow down the process! The mandatory way to send missing information/documents is to upload them directly to your online application. Once we have checked out your documents attached to your application, you will be able to see it directly on your online space.
Financial Information (5 questions)
- I do not have a credit card, how do I pay the application fee?
If you cannot pay by credit card, you may ask us for the required information to pay by bank transfer. You must send us a proof of payment in the form of an official bank confirmation. Once the payment has been registered it will be updated in the online application, you will receive a confirmation of such in order for you to continue completing the form allowing you to submit it for review.
Beware: Just because you have paid this fee does not mean that the application has automatically been submitted. You must manually submit your application by clicking "submit application".
- How do I apply to the Eiffel scholarship?
- How much are the tuition fees at Sciences Po?
- What grants/scholarships are available?
- Are the application fees refundable?
Personal statement (1 question)
Other questions (12 questions)
- What is a Partnership Programme?
They are unique programmes in partnership with an affiliated university characterized by specific enrolment requirements and diplomas. Please review the eligibility criteria and the specificities of the given programme.
In order to apply to any one of these programmes, you must select the indicated “Partnership Programme” procedure in the online application to view the accurate list of programmes available.
- I was not admitted. Can I apply again for the same programme?
- At what time of the year can I begin studying at Sciences Po?
The academic year at Sciences Po begins between end of August and mid-September, depending on the programmes. Only exchange students may begin in January (second semester). Please consult the information on our Welcome programmes and be aware that certain orientation programmes may be compulsory.
- How many times can I apply to Sciences Po Masters programmes?
- If I am not admitted, can I try to apply through a different procedure the following year?
- Does my nationality determine the admission procedure through which I should apply?
- I was not admitted in the programme which I had applied for, can I apply for a separate programme the same year?
No. If you have not been admitted, you cannot apply for another programme in the same academic year. However, you may apply again for the next academic year.
Please note that if your profile does not match the requirements of the programme you applied for, it might be possible to be considered for a different programme and your application will be evaluated accordingly. If you are then admitted, you will have the choice to either accept or turn down our offer.
- I have been admitted to a graduate programme. Can I transfer to a different one?
- I have been admitted to a graduate programme. Is it possible to defer my enrolment?
You may ask for a deferral of your enrolment (for Master programmes and one year Master programmes). To do so you must indicate it through your student space. Under the section to accept, refuse or defer the offer of admission.
Please note that deferrals will not be accorded for dual degree programmes.
- Is there an age limit for applying to a Sciences Po Master Programme?
- What does "conditional admission" mean?
There are two types of conditional offers of admission:
Admission conditional on language skills: you have been accepted for study at Sciences Po on the condition that you prove a sufficient level of English/French for the selected programme. You need to send us your language test results by the deadline of the programme you applied for. In the absence of the results at this point, you have one year to send them to us allowing for you to begin at Sciences Po in the following year.
Warning! We will not process any scholarship applications or dual degree applications without a valid language test by the deadline for the scholarship or dual degree programme.
Admission conditional on academic qualifications: you are accepted for study at Sciences Po but you must provide, no later than at the time of your administrative registration (beginning in June), the undergraduate degree required for the programme to which you were admitted. If you cannot provide such a document at the time of registration, you will lose your admission offer. Please note that you should have been awarded your degree in the first examinations, and not after having taken re-sits.
- I am a professional and I wish to apply to Sciences Po. What advice can you give me?
There are a number of possibilities:
The Masters programmes, if you hold an undergraduate diploma or at least three years of professional experience. For further information, please go to the Masters programmes' admissions pages.
The one year Master programmes, if you have completed a university diploma and can demonstrate 3 to 5 years of post-graduate professional experience, depending on the programmes.
The Continuing Education programmes. For further information, please visit the Sciences Po Continuing Education website.